• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

get ready for the Biogun!! finger and face ID.

I enjoyed the Ian McCollum review video, and the gun seems well-designed and engineered. Looks like something from a science-fiction movie. I personally don't like the idea of complicating things with "smart" tech, as that introduces more things that can go wrong, but I understand this was made specifically for night-table home defense, and if a regular pistol isn't feasible due to other people in the home or draconian gun laws, this could be a life saver.

My thoughts on things that could go wrong: what if you shave off your mustache or beard, or aren't wearing your glasses--will the gun recognize you? What if the charger fails and the battery is low when you need to use the pistol? What if you drop it in a fight and break the computer chips inside? Every weapon ever made has had a counter measure invented soon after--so what if criminals have a "smart gun" zapper (or government thugs have them)? What is the longevity of the electronics after thousands of practice rounds? What kinds of data are stored in the gun that could come back to bite you (inspected by those people from the government)?

Yup, all the 'pluses' for this gun could be solved with a good-quality handgun safe and some training in pistol retention.

All of the minuses are due to the added complexity and fragility of chips versus steel, and I really don't see those going away soon.

I feel the same way about this as I do about electric cars…let the free market decide. It serves a purpose for a percentage of the market and that’s fine and it won’t work for another percentage of the market and that’s fine too.

Just don’t try and shove it down our throats with mandates and try to force a “one size fits all” solution. We can have both.

One thing that kind of impressed me about this company was that they specifically stated they would not allow their sale in any state (looking at you NJ) where they would trigger a law requiring ONLY the sale of smart guns once they were available.

Not quite sure how they would prevent it, unless maybe a contract with their distributor.

IMG_5632.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom