• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22 Silencer, which one?

I have seen dozens of rimfire silencers used and I've shot several personally.

I really can't tell the sound difference between any of them given the same ammunition and fired from the same type of gun with approximately the same barrel length.

So, I suggest one that how's the following 4 features:

1-- Dedicated can just for .22LR. Keep it reasonably small and light, as all 22 rimfire suppressors are compared to centerfire suppressors.

2- Can be disassembled for cleaning and scraping the crud out of it, if you ever get any build up.

If you end up getting one that doesn't disassemble, see if it comes with a lifetime warranty. See if the internals are safe for use with lead dissolving solvent? You should probably weigh the suppressor when it is brand new and then periodically re-weigh it using the same scale to see if it weighs more if you find that it weighs an ounce more a couple years from now that means you've got an ounce of lead build up inside it!)

3--Steel threads to screw-on. Not aluminum. If you're going to be taking this Ken on and off several different guns for various range sessions you want to minimize the wear and tear.

4-- My memory sux. I forget what else I was gonna say.

P.S. I have an AAC "Pilot" suppressor that I'm happy with. I've had it for about 15 years but probably only put 500 rounds through it and all that time.
I do most of my shooting unsuppressed.
There was a time when I had wished that I had gotten a suppressor that was rated for magnum rimfire calibers like the 17 HMR and 22 Winchester Magnum rimfire but now I don't think it would be worthwhile because those bullets will always have a supersonic crack.

When I shoot a hyper-velocity .22lr like a CCI Stinger from a rifle with my suppressor on it it doesn't sound any quieter then shooting standard velocity through an unsuppressed rifle.

I can't think of any 22 can (not 223) that won't come apart for cleaning. I would stay far, far away from one that didn't since it's going to get gunked up pretty quickly and you would have to send it back to the mfg.

I do think it's worth having a can that will handle 17 and 22 Mag (and now maybe 5.7). Sure, it won't be whisper quiet like a 22LR would be, but it's still going to be a lot quieter at the shooter's ear, even if it still makes a 'crack' downrange.

I went with Q ElCamino too. Easy to take apart to clean, and a good price. I like that it's rated for .22 as well as 5.7, and full auto too. I just wish I had a full auto gun to use it on. :)

I honestly think that most 22lr cans will have the same "giggle" factor, especially with subsonic ammo. Just be sure whatever you buy can be taken apart to clean, the rest is preference IMO.
I discovered recently that not all subsonic ammo will cycle in all guns. I'm sure the rest of you already knew that, but it was news to me. At the time I was shooting a little Beretta Cheetah in .22 LR with CCI Quiet, and I had to rack every round. Anyone have experience with CCI Quiet susonics in a Ruger Mark IV 22/45?

I discovered recently that not all subsonic ammo will cycle in all guns. I'm sure the rest of you already knew that, but it was news to me. At the time I was shooting a little Beretta Cheetah in .22 LR with CCI Quiet, and I had to rack every round. Anyone have experience with CCI Quiet susonics in a Ruger Mark IV 22/45?

I’ve shot many through my mk3 22/45, doesn’t cycle, can’t see the mkIV being any different.

I have seen dozens of rimfire silencers used and I've shot several personally.

I really can't tell the sound difference between any of them given the same ammunition and fired from the same type of gun with approximately the same barrel length.

I’d like to know which rimfire suppressors you have experienced that you can’t tell the difference, perhaps your experience is shooting then on a long barrel? I have two rimfire cans, the one is stupid quiet on my 22/45, and the other will have the neighbors calling the police, the FRP is that loud.

I’ll agree that when you compare the top contenders you won’t hear much difference, but there are a few on the market that are night and day sound difference from the popular brands.

CCI Quiet subsonics will not cycle any semi auto.
CCI Semi Quiets cycle both my Ruger MK IV and T/CR semi auto with suppressor on and are stupid quiet. Bolt drop and impact is what you hear.

Back
Top Bottom