• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.223 questions

dawgm

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
11   0
Reaction score
i just loaded my first ever and ran into problems and have stopped at 5 rounds.

First, I trimmed to 1.75 or so I thought. Most are and I'm measuring each. A few are over 1.76. Can I trim the primed brass, making sure to knock out any shavings?

Second, I loaded h355 at 24.1gn. This seemed to be a lite but reasonable start. The bullet is 55gn psp.

Third, the OAL came to 2.200 One wanted to measure slightly under. Is the OAL being slightly under a problem? Also, the cannelure on the bullets don't even touch the neck; the entire cannelure is visible above the neck. What have I done wrong here?

You failed to seat the bullet to the cannelure. Seat the bullet deeper.

I go about mid-way on it to give a bit of wiggle room. The issue is not compressing the charge when seating the bullet (drives pressures up) unless it (load data) specifically mentions it as a compressed load. As long as the bullets are not too long and interfere with feeding or jam in the magazine you should be alright.

Load up 10 or so then increase the charge weight slightly to make another 10 and so on until you get to maximum. Shoot for accuracy and often the groups will tighten up at a specific powder charge, for a specific bullet and for a specific barrel.

Yes you can trim the primed brass. Just make sure it is properly sized and tap it to get the trimmings out. .

Last edited:
I can't comment on the short OAL. If it's below spec, I would pull it and start over though. I seat all my .223 to 2.245. Just a random number that seemed to always work and it's perfect for the cannelure.

So an OAL shorter than spec is okay? Just want to get this right

Yes, up until you compress the charge.

You can seat your bullets out as far as they will load and function or contact the rifling. You don't want to contact the rifling as it may compress the charge increasing pressure or when you unload a loaded chamber the bullet stays behind and powder charge dumps itself in the chamber.

The cannelure is your target if the brass is sized and trimmed to length. Use it for what it was intended for...

SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”

It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must

be seen as a guideline only.

The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.

This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of

the barrel, 3) ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

Western Powders would like to thank the following companies for their continued support

in our efforts to provide this information:

• Always begin loading at the minimum "Start Load".

• Increase in 2% increments towards the Maximum Load.

• Watch for signs of excessive pressure.

• Never exceed the Maximum Load.

Yes, up until you compress the charge.

You can seat your bullets out as far as they will load and function or contact the rifling. You don't want to contact the rifling as it may compress the charge increasing pressure or when you unload a loaded chamber the bullet stays behind and powder charge dumps itself in the chamber.

The cannelure is your target if the brass is sized and trimmed to length. Use it for what it was intended for...

in sentence 2 where he says compress the charge, dont think compressed (charge/powder kernels by bullet contacting them) hes sayin the bullet is already sitting on the lands/smaller diameter
trying to get the bullet in motion from this scotched position causes a spike in pressure. on the other hand, a shorter OAL lets the bullet get a running start into the lands that is way smoother and has waaay less of a spike in the pressure curve as the bullet enters the lands

i just loaded my first ever and ran into problems and have stopped at 5 rounds.

First, I trimmed to 1.75 or so I thought. Most are and I'm measuring each. A few are over 1.76. Can I trim the primed brass, making sure to knock out any shavings?

Second, I loaded h355 at 24.1gn. This seemed to be a lite but reasonable start. The bullet is 55gn psp.

Third, the OAL came to 2.200 One wanted to measure slightly under. Is the OAL being slightly under a problem? Also, the cannelure on the bullets don't even touch the neck; the entire cannelure is visible above the neck. What have I done wrong here?
What brand bullet are you using?

My take on it is this!
First you say you ran into a problem, I don't really see a problem?
the loading data that I have indicates a H-335 loading for a jacketed projectile to be between 23.0 and 25.3 grains of powder, and at an OAL of 2.200.
as far as the case length being a small amount over/under shouldn't hurt a thing if its near the correct trim length.
and IF the problem is that the cannelure is showing on the finished round, well don't sweat that, the only reason for a cannelure on a projectile is to crimp it.
If you aren't roll crimping then ignore it.
I would suggest that you follow powder manufactures recommendations on the bullet specs.
load a few , fire and see how they do, then if you want to tweak them a bit after you become more familiar with the round then do so.

Buy a case length gauge from Brownell and see just how useless trimming is.

Bullet seating depth is a give and take. The deeper into the case you go, the more presure you get. The further out you go, pressures go lower until you contact the rifling.

Most bullets with a cannelure don't sit very far into the case. I know my 147 plinking loads in my 308 are way below min oal. Seat to the groove with the starting powder charge and work your way up.

It's fairly hard to kaboom yourself. The fact you stopped and thought about it puts you ahead of 90% of people out there.

Back
Top Bottom