• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

224 Valkyrie Sizing ?

TinManMike

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
111   0
Reaction score
I was sizing some 224 Valkyrie brass and noticed in my case gauge that I'm about a couple of hundreds long. The case does not flush up with the groove in the case gauge.
I checked some Federal and some Hornady factory rounds in the gauge and they are exactly flush.
I re-checked the position of the sizing die in the press and it appears to be set correctly.
It seems like the shoulder of the brass is not getting set deep enough to cause this length problem.

As I stated before, I am new to the bottleneck rifle cartridges and it is frustrating to say the least.
Any ideas on what I can do to correct the issue ?

FYI, I'm using some Redding Match Dies. Not cheap by any means.

Thanks in advance for any tips or helpful info !

Check the max trim length and also check if the rim may have a slight burr from the extractor. Other than that you need a small base die.

You need to make sure you are adjusting your sizing die correctly. Sounds like maybe not screwing it into the press quite far enough. Hornady makes a guage to measure base to shoulder. They are very helpful.

I re-checked my sizing die and CTS Tactical was correct. It was not screwed down quite far enough.
Re-sized 50 cases and all of them checked out.

Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom