• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.243 Crimp Die on a 6mm Remington?

westgajohn

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
28   0
Reaction score
Not looking to get into a "to crimp or not to crimp" debate. I wouldn't know enough about it. However, these cartridges use the same projectile. My question is, could one crimp the 6mm Remington round with a .243 factory crimp die?

Are you talking about a collet type factory crimp die ?

Looking at the Lee factory crimp dies, they sell a different one for 243 and 6mm. Here is a link to them
6mm>> http://www.titanreloading.com/rifle-reloading-dies/lee-factory-crimp-dies/6mm-rem-factory-crimp-die

243 >> http://www.titanreloading.com/rifle-reloading-dies/lee-factory-crimp-dies/243-win-factory-crimp-die-

These dies work by the shell holder on the ram pushing up on the bottom of the die causing the die to squeeze tight around the bullet/case mouth. Since the 243 and 6mm are different lengths, one won't work for the other.

Last edited:
I see why case length would matter if I were resizing or seating the bullet, but given the dimensions of the case mouth & the projectile being the same on these cartridges, I was unsure if the factory crimp die took into account the case length at all.
I own the Lee .243 three die set, but my 6mm die set is an old Lyman two die set that, unfortunately didn't come with instructions. I realize I don't have to crimp, but I thought it was a valid question.
Reason I own two such similar calibers is, I love my 6mm Remington model 700, but I wanted to start my 9 year old on the .243.

I see why case length would matter if I were resizing or seating the bullet, but given the dimensions of the case mouth & the projectile being the same on these cartridges, I was unsure if the factory crimp die took into account the case length at all.
I own the Lee .243 three die set, but my 6mm die set is an old Lyman two die set that, unfortunately didn't come with instructions. I realize I don't have to crimp, but I thought it was a valid question.
Reason I own two such similar calibers is, I love my 6mm Remington model 700, but I wanted to start my 9 year old on the .243.

Of course, it always pays to ask.
I order a lot of stuff from the Co I linked to above, they will ship USPS priority mail, so it only takes 2 days to get here. I really like the Lee factory collet crimp die. I use it on my 30/06, 45/70 and 357 Sig.

In case anyone else needs this info:

From Lee Precision:

Factory Crimp Dies are cartridge specific. The only way in which one caliber can be used for another is if the two calibers share bullet dieameter and trim length exactly. Factory Crimp dies generally use about .050 of the case to apply the crimp so any difference in the trim length between the cartridges comes off that amount.

In case anyone else needs this info:

From Lee Precision:

Factory Crimp Dies are cartridge specific. The only way in which one caliber can be used for another is if the two calibers share bullet dieameter and trim length exactly. Factory Crimp dies generally use about .050 of the case to apply the crimp so any difference in the trim length between the cartridges comes off that amount.

That is for the rifle FCD. The pistol FCD uses a tapered crimp tube, so trim length is not as important.

Back
Top Bottom