• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

260rem

Got two elk hunts booked next year. From reading and researching, seems a 160 will provide better penetration through the shoulder and depending on the powder pushing it, shouldn't lose a pile of velocity. Maybe around 24-2500fps range
Most of the factory loads in a 120-140gr are pushing anywhere between 27-2900fps.
I may just run some factory made noslers and call it a day, but was just looking to see if there's any more experience behind the round on here..

And i know there's the few that'll say shot placement shot placement etc.. I've got alot of shoulder time behind the .260 and im confident in it.
There's a lot of unknown variables in the Rockies i cant really recreate down here in SWGA, so any way i can tip the scales to bring home some meat im down for.

And let me just say im not an expert reloader etc.. Im just not aware of any factory load 160s that are produced.
Mainly trying to see if i need to get into reloading if the Juice is worth the squeeze to achieve what im looking for.

I've haven't gotten around to shooting or reloading for my 260 yet, but from my research on what others used on elk were either Barnes or Partition style bullets. I think the top choices for hunters were the 140gr Nosler Partition/Accubond & Sierra Gameking, some like to use the 130gr Barnes bullets as well.

If you end up loading your own and not buying factory ammo, be sure to find a way to mail out a box or two of your reloads to the hunting location. I've read about people loosing their handloads and forced to buy what ever is available there and re-zero their rifle. Given how bad the ammo selection is these days, it might even be tough to find some where you're going so probably mail out factory loads too if you plan on using that.

I've haven't gotten around to shooting or reloading for my 260 yet, but from my research on what others used on elk were either Barnes or Partition style bullets. I think the top choices for hunters were the 140gr Nosler Partition/Accubond & Sierra Gameking, some like to use the 130gr Barnes bullets as well.

If you end up loading your own and not buying factory ammo, be sure to find a way to mail out a box or two of your reloads to the hunting location. I've read about people loosing their handloads and forced to buy what ever is available there and re-zero their rifle. Given how bad the ammo selection is these days, it might even be tough to find some where you're going so probably mail out factory loads too if you plan on using that.
For sure! Thanks for the info.
I hate the 260 doesn’t get the love that it should

Back
Top Bottom