• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

3-gun rifle

libertysteeth

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
46   0
Reaction score
Looking to buy or build a decent starter 3 gun rifle. Not looking to break the bank but dont want to skimp on reliability especially. Maybe even just a good barrel/bcg combo. I have an m&p 15 in 5.45x39 with a bad barrel(from the factory, thanks s&w) that I can convert. Just so many choices.

Go simple toss on a 100 dollar barrel and a good bcg then run 1k rounds threw it, zero it and you should be ready. My 3-gun rifle is a wasr 10/63 running irons and I do pretty well.

I'm using a good npap with a 2-6× scope right now. Dependable and shoots well but the reloads are slowing me down. I do practice reloads. There really are just too many extra movements to make it equal. I want to shave off those seconds. Parts prices seem almost silly when whole rifles are so cheap right now. Still would rather build if the dependability will be better.

Is the S&w m&p 15a good build platform? If so what is an excellent barrel/bcg combo? I like to tinker but would rather be wise and go with an experienced persons advice. So much misinformation available.

I'm using a good npap with a 2-6× scope right now. Dependable and shoots well but the reloads are slowing me down. I do practice reloads. There really are just too many extra movements to make it equal. I want to shave off those seconds. Parts prices seem almost silly when whole rifles are so cheap right now. Still would rather build if the dependability will be better.

HUH really? I beat out 85% of the people that shoot tac-ops division. what mag carrier do you use? Maybe its mag change timing? Change on the move or on the walk threw know how many shots are need by what point and then when you get to that point do a mag change regardless of how many you may or may not have left. Of course most of what I shoot calls for mag retention so spent mags must stay on your body or take a 5 second penalty for every mag that hits the ground. So that slows down even the AR guys but with practice its AK vs AR mag cahnges should only be 1 second slower max. But with proper timing on changes it evens out to about zero difference.

Is the only reason you are changing to an AR is for mag change speed?

Is the S&w m&p 15a good build platform? If so what is an excellent barrel/bcg combo? I like to tinker but would rather be wise and go with an experienced persons advice. So much misinformation available.

Also if you are set on going to an AR just buy a factory AR Run it for a good while then upgrade if you see fit. I doubt you will though.

Yes mag change speed and shot timing. Shot to shot timing I can iron out with a little practice though. Where do you compete?

3-gun mostly River bend gun club. Action pistol and USPSA all over. But this year I will be lucky to make it 2-3 sucks but the following year I will be right back at it every other weekend if things go right.

You can do better than equal. Use the thumb. This is the way:

Back
Top Bottom