• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

3 gun tips/pointers?

I agree with the comment of starting out with pistol and getting a feel for it. I just got into IDPA and love it. Go to www.idpa.com for info on shoots. Most places let you shoot for free or for $5 for you first match.

I intend to get into 3 gun eventually, but am enjoying the IDPA for now. The only things I'm missing for 3 gun is a shorter barrel for my 870 (mag extension eventually too), rifle mag holders, and shotshell holders. Once I get the barrel I should be almost ready to go. Then it's just figuring out where I want to travel to from Newnan for 3 gun.

ncsugrad is a buddy of mine (this is your bro in real estate). He makes excellent points and is a top notch shooter.

Here is my opinion coming from less experience and a guy who doesn't spend lots to shoot local matches:

1. If you have a 26" barrel bird gun, bring it and shoot it. I may start shooting my 28" M2 just because I can. You're generally not clearing rooms so the short barrel isn't a "must have". Run an AK an whatever pistol you like if that's what you have. Buy an Uncle Mikes belt and used pouches. If you ask nicely someone will probably let you borrow shotgun caddies or their belt/chest rig. I run a mismatched gun belt like ngcsugrad. We both typically do well in local 3 gun and he often wins. The best thing you can do is show up and shoot! One other very important note is a quality sling for the rifle. You will usually have to sling and retain the rifle in most local/outlaw matches. I like the vickers style but whatever works.

I sometimes run a CMMG bargain bin with a tube and Leupold 1-4 VXII or an old Aimpoint and do pretty well. Nobody cares how you score, just come out and have fun. I miss it as work has been in the way the last few months and I am addicted to duck hunting. Gotta prioritize!

Summary: bring what you have and enough ammo (bring more than is required). Show up early and let the director know you are new. An RO or experienced shooter will check your gear and guys will almost always loan stuff. Most of us have loaned batteries, shotguns, ammo, rifles, pistol, etc. Have fun and be safe and you will be on your way!

*Sorry for the long- winded first post!

Last edited:
The other thing I meant to get across is we often have pre-conceived notions of what we need. After we start shooting matches we find other tools work better. Try it out before you "invest" in gear. Almost everyone runs chest rigs but I feel I am slower with one. Procedurals and a couple of misses will add to your time ALOT more than having a high speed weapon.

If anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask. I've been doing this for a while and am happy to give any assistance/opinions, etc, etc.

I'll try to address both with one answer..

Check the rules ahead of time, but plan on irons. There is a debate right now at some of the bigger matches of whether to go to allowing optics on heavy rifles and semi auto shotguns.. we'll see what shakes out this year.

Bump from the dead! Thanks again for the good info here, I have been interested in 3 gun lately and just shot my first match recently and your info was spot on.

Are most of the local matches allowing red dots on rifles in limited now? Any word on allowing red dots on pitol/shotguns?

Try it out before you "invest" in gear. Almost everyone runs chest rigs but I feel I am slower with one.

So true about trying it out, I just shot what I had this past weekend and did fine. A2 upper carbine, 7+1 Winchester 1300 pump, and FNP-45 and I placed 11/22. The winners shot every target twice and shot/reloaded the shotgun well basically. And had a smart game.

Read and follow the rules of the range you are shooting at. About 20 years ago I got invited to a Saturday shoot at a local gun club. Got there 1 hr. early to sign up/register and had about 45 minutes to kill. While checking out the course I decided to unholster my glock and look downrange at the targets. You would have thought I had just killed the president. Do not unholster your gun at any time until you are standing on the shooting line and are directed to do so. Know the rules!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom