• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30-30 Bullets In A 300 AAC?

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
I've been browsing .308 bullets lately, mostly looking for something affordable to load in .308 Win. and got to thinking about 30-30 rated bullets for my 300 AAC.

The 170 grain flat nose profile combined with it's softer jacket should make a fine deer cartridge at the little 30's speeds.

Anyone tried them in an AAC/Blackout yet?

Thanks' for any feedback or thoughts on these.

By the way, if you know of an in stock source for quality 140gr - 180 gr .308 Win suitable bullets offer that up too. I prefer a soft point so I can hunt with them, but price sells. I'll buy quality FMJ's if a bargain.

CD

As long as the seating depth allows the bullet to feed reliably (not crooked in the magazine) it should be fine. I know the diameter of the ogive needs to be 1/4" at the rib inside the magazine ( were the 5.56 case neck sits.)

I may order one box of flat or maybe round nose to try. I know my .308's have no issues with round nose bullets. The velocity match should be excellent. The only alternative is really light varmint bullets that we hope stays together, or 2500 fps rated bullets that we hope will expand.

Some of the newer .300 Savage rated bullets may also be an alternative?

The seating depth shouldn't be a problem, should it? I've loaded a couple of different rounds, and even the long nosed Nosler B/T's leave a lot of empty magazine space.

I hate to be a lot of trouble, but a picture of the magazine rib would be welcomed. Thanks' CD

Chuck are you fireing from bolt or semi auto. If you have some 5.56mm measure the length of the case to the case neck. If you look online for 300 Aac blackout images you will see what I'm talking about.

I'm shooting a garage built AR. I've only loaded 125 grain Ballistic Tips and some very short 110 grain Speer Hot Core flat base bullets. To be honest I was very surprised at just how short the cartridge's overall length is. It look likes 1/3 or more of the magazine follower is showing, but they have all shot great without so much as a hiccup.

I believe after reading your post again, I believe I understand what you're pointing out.

Thanks' CD

CD I loaded some hornady 110 gr V-Max for my SOTA ss upper and I am hitting sub moa at 100 yards. I don't think you are going to gain much in expansion with the 30-30 specific rounds but the leverlution hornady does seem like a viable option I would not use the leverlution powder though.

I don't recall seeing the article, but I'll find it. I was just thinking some heavier bullets that I thought would expand at lower velocities would be worth a try. I may look into the leverevolution bullets. They shot great in a .450 Bushmaster that I had a few years back.

Lil'Gun has been my powder of choice in the .300 so far. I've also got plenty of W296 from my magnum handgun days.

Back
Top Bottom