• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30-30 Bullets In A 300 AAC?

I am getting 2250 FPS average with H110 with the hornady Vmax 110gr. I have got 2190 out of Accurate 5744 with Remington 150gr accutip.
I worked up some sub loads this A.M with Hornady 208 Amax & some 195 BTHP I had laying around thru a 8.5" AR barrel w/.095 gas port size.
They traveled @ 1055-1066 fps using Accuarte 1680. There never was enough energy to push the bolt back far enough to hold the bolt open.

Tried another upper 9.5" barrel, different barrel mfr, gas port 10 thousands bigger and the bolt held open after every single fed shot.
Any other powders you guys use other than A1680 & H110. I used them both.

The round nose 30 cal bullets will not work. You need a bullet that is more pointed. Trust me I tried this already. But on the other hand they looked really cool and different.

The round nose 30 cal bullets will not work. You need a bullet that is more pointed. Trust me I tried this already. But on the other hand they looked really cool and different.

Thanks'! This isn't good news, but it's exactly what I needed. Makes the Hornady Leverevolution seem likely to be what I want to try. CD

CD I took a doe at 275 yards this morning with my 300 BLK 110gr Hornady Vmax handload. If you are shooting or have a possibility over 100 I would not load to heavy.

CD I took a doe at 275 yards this morning with my 300 BLK 110gr Hornady Vmax handload. If you are shooting or have a possibility over 100 I would not load to heavy.

Congratulations! Yea, 275 yds ain't likely a shot I'd really consider on a deer with any .300 load. I know you made it and others likely have and will too, but I play the percentages. If I'm not confident of a clean one shot drop, I'll let em' walk.

I've got a 6.8 and a couple of .308's for the longer range stuff. I know any of em' will kill at longer ranges, but I believe the .300 to be more at home as a woods carbine.

Sounds like a case of knowing your combo and executing a good shot, again congrats on the clean long range kill! CD

CD thanks for the congrats. I know what you mean about not wanting to take a bad shot, I also knew a 300 yard shot was a possibility so I ran 40 plus rounds at 300 to adjust for bullet drop and drift.

Back
Top Bottom