• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300 PRC

RSBrown

Default rank <200 posts Supporter
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
Going elk hunting next year and looking to add a 300 PRC but also don't want to add a new caliber without being able to load my own. Looking for thoughts and insights on reloading this cartridge. Currently reload 300 BO, 308, 6.5 CM, and 7mm08 so this will be my first magnum / long range load. 300 WM and 3006 still under consideration, but I am always fascinated by a shiny new object. Thanks in advance

Just got back from an elk hunt where I used my 300 PRC in a Bergara Ridge B14. The elk hunt was on pretty short notice (6 months, with really more like 2 months of actual prep time) for someone like me who has never done one before. Like you, I had never loaded for magnum rifle cartridges before but have loaded for 300 blackout, 6.5x55, .223 Wylde, pistol cartridges, etc.

Unlike the other cartridges that I've loaded where I was looking for specific performance benefits (e.g., consistent subsonic performance in 300 blackout, modern 6.5x55 performance, etc.), I chose to load 300 PRC simply because of the cost of factory ammo. I'm a big copper bullet guy, and Hornady Outfitter 300 PRC (with CX bullet) was $63/box before shipping. When handloading, I used either brass from the factory ammo I did buy or new Hornady brass (around $1/piece) with CX bullets that I got one sale at like $35/box of 50.

Seeing as how I was not one of the few guys in the world who somehow has Alliant RL-26 on hand, I used H1000 with exceptional results. Factory CX was getting 2950 fps, and I managed to handload the same CX bullet up to 3050 fps (I just went with the most accurate load). Hornady states that reliable expansion stops at about 2000 fps, which occurs at like 650 yards and that's an acceptable max range for me.

I never got a chance at an elk, but I'm convinced that 300 PRC is one of the best cartridges for elk, especially as other ammo manufacturers get to develop load data for it. Obviously, the ELD-X bullet is the more popular option, and I plan to load that one too sooner or later.

As a final note, do whatever you can to control that recoil. I thought it was worse than my 45/70. I used a SilencerCo Omega, and added a brake to the suppressor which helped me a ton in controlling the shot.

Thanks for your input, aligns with my expectation and did find some H1000. How did you like the Begara? It is on my short list to look at, but boy can you spend some money in this caliber. Also plan on using my Omega 46H or 36.

Thanks for your input, aligns with my expectation and did find some H1000. How did you like the Begara? It is on my short list to look at, but boy can you spend some money in this caliber. Also plan on using my Omega 46H or 36.
I like my Bergara! I mainly got it because, at least at Georgia Gun Store, it was the least expensive 300 PRC that I could find before the hunt.

I really wanted a Tikka in 300 PRC, but Tikka hasn't made such a chambering yet. I have a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Swede that I got just a few months prior, and I think that the rifles are comparable in quality (notwithstanding the obvious differences in the cartridges that I have). I think I actually like the Bergara trigger better than the Tikka trigger, but I want more range time with my Tikka before I truly assert that.

The Bergara bolt is pretty smooth too.

Looking at your assortment strongly consider staying with the .264 projectile, and research the following 6.5 PRC, 6.5/300 WBY MAG, then you can use the same same projectile and still have freight trains too...

Just a simple option to carefully consider, plus it helps keep some still in your pocket..($$$)

Back
Top Bottom