• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.32 smith and wesson long

chucklenut

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
362   0
Reaction score
buddy of mine for his archeological project had been given an old .32 smith and wesson cartridge that has been very corroded and worn and wanted to know some info on it

the most i could tell him is that its old and it probably was from a police style gun (probably circa before 1930). i ay police gun because i think civis at the time carried .32 shorts and what not, more pocket style revolvers. and i know .32 long was a popular police round for a long time. im not a revolver expert, but i figure the gun that fired it was either an S&W, iver, or a H&R

the round was actually found in atlanta, where the grey hound bus station is actually. found in a sewer system when marta or the sewer system was being redone.

any info on this round and the time period it came from would be very helpful.

he is specifically lookin for when the round was most popular, what guns shot it, and any background info regarding this round would be very nice (especially if it deals with local history)

thanks yall, prove our ethos as gun nuts and help my friend out

The headstamp should tell you most everything you need to know, presuming there is one. If in fact it's that old, I would be careful in handling the cartridge. It would be prudent to pull the bullet and powder.

I can give you overall dimensions of the .32 S&W and the .32 S&W Long tomorrow if that helps.

The headstamp should tell you most everything you need to know, presuming there is one. If in fact it's that old, I would be careful in handling the cartridge. It would be prudent to pull the bullet and powder.

I can give you overall dimensions of the .32 S&W and the .32 S&W Long tomorrow if that helps.
ohh its a spent cartridge. ill try and get the pictures up tomorrow

There is nothing unusual about a .32L S&W. I have three. The revolver fits nicely in an ankle holster, and a .32L packs almost as much punch as a .38 Special. The ammo is easy to find.

[Broken External Image]:

Very nice Smiths GA 1911! You are correct, the .32 was a very common piece for many years. Now, not so much.

Does this thread mean I can show off my .32?

IMG_1678.jpg

Come on JWC, show that cream puff............

Geez, Stringbender. This is Chucklenut's thread, but I have done it before, so I appoligize Chucklenut. With that, Stringbender and GA 1911, here is my dad's Pre-model 30, from 1956.

i46.tinypic.com_t5kg42.jpg

Very nice Smiths GA 1911! You are correct, the .32 was a very common piece for many years. Now, not so much.

I agree on the theory. ;)

IMO, the S&W .32L is certainly under-valued in today's market due to it's weird caliber. IMO, a S&W .32L 85g JHP has almost the power of a .38 Special.

And they still have boxes, matching stocks, diamond stocks, and other stuff that make them nice to own for a lower price.

Very nice pre-30. I am a S&W forum member. I am working to get my pictures to your level (with no current success :D).

Doc
Sandy Springs, Ga

These pics of the I and J frame .32 Smiths are making me sweat. I love the round and the gun. Just loaded up 100 rounds the other night of Lyman 311-252 over 2.7gr. Bullseye for plinking duties. And yes, it is a very under rated round for it's uses. Mine have all proven to be accurate and mild shooters that use minimal powder and lead for a day full of fun!

Back
Top Bottom