• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

356 TSW?

Apex is giving it a rebirth. Ton of info out there, and with newer tech in powder and projectiles it’s gonna be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran across a few boxes of Federal Gold Medal 356 TSW 147 GR. FMJ Match ammo.
Was looking at them on the surface and they seemed like standard 9x19 ammo until I looked a bit further an noticed how much taller the case was. Then reading a bit was like Wow those are Hot pressure, glad I did not mistake them and try and run one.
View attachment 1833977
View attachment 1833977
20181021_184433.jpg
20181021_184347.jpg

Any idea of the value of these? Anyone still have use for them?

When it came out it was the cats meow in IPSC, until the bastards banned it. It still has meaning in other shooting sports, and applications for self defense... but being it’s close comparison to 9x19 and 9x21 in many ways, some just opt for the more available calibers.

TSW= team smith & wesson.

Created for safer 9mm caliber major power factor (pf) small frame guns used in IPSC competitions .

Pf=bullet mass x bullet weight.

Major pf used to be 170,000, now it is 165,000 and can be accomplished with less risk than before with 9x19 and good brass. The 170,000 pf ammo in a 9x19 occasionally resulted in blown up guns. The current 165,000 power factor gives it a little more margin of safety.

Minor is a power factor from 125,000 to less than 165,000. Minor receives less points for hits that are not in the “A”zone, theoretically, keeping things fair between the low recoil 9mm shooters and 357mag/40/45 shooters.

So, there is no longer a need for 9mm TSW. Just use 9x19 for small frame guns or 9x21 and load it long,9x23, 9mm Super Comp, or 38 Special and a full sized gun.

I’ve actually looked at converting my 929 PC to .356 TSW. TK Customs makes moons that will work for them, and the cylinder is actually cut to 9x21. Let me know if you find pricing and what you’d want for it.

On the one hand it is rare, on the other, there is not much need for the product. The people with a 9mmTSW have probably been shooting 9x19 in it, trimming 9x23 and reloading for it, or had another barrel fit for 9x19.

I do not think many people will pay much more than retail 9x23 prices for it.

Little birdie gave me the heads up that at least 1 manufacturer is going to fire up production again. I know I can get brass, and moon clips... my only real concern is the pressure in a MIM Titanium cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom