• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

357 short barrel load data new to reloading

Bgolden84

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
106   0
Reaction score
ok so i got excited and jumped the gun. i did a little research before buying but i didn't take into account my 327 night guards short barrel.
info on the stuff ill be using :confused:
berry's bullets 158 grain plated
hodgdon hs-6 powder
cci small magnum pistol primers #550
im just looking to do some general shooting for practice i ordered 500 bullets and they shipped out before i could cancel them.

i also have some hornaday xtp 125 gr FP/XTP bullets to load for sd rounds

any help and info would be greatly appreciated

thanks brother. i plan on starting with 7.0 grains and working up a little. what increments would you recommend working up with? i assume since its a 2 1/2 barrel that im not going to be working at the same velocities as the longer 10 barrel they used for that loading data. this is all new to me and im just trying to be cautious

With the 158, 9.5 is max for a jacketed bullet. I would probably stay at 7.0 with the Berry bullet. It is a soft bullet--swagged.

I don't recommend it, but if you want to find the speed limit, I would try something like 8, 8.5, 9.0, 9.2,9.4, finally 9.5. The swagged bullets may start to fly apart. I don't think the bullets have a crimp groove. The unfired bullets in your cylinder may begin to get "slung" forward out of the brass due to the recoil of the fired rounds-- they could actually creep out far enough to lock the cylinder up. So, you may need to settle with the 7.0 load and a light crimp-- just enough to lay the brass flat without digging into the bullet's jacket.

For simplicity,start with your 158 grain bullet's max load and work up as described. Stop BELOW 11, use a good roll crimp and have fun with your cannon.

Back
Top Bottom