• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

380 Auto w/ Red Dot

Cmax Arms

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
I want to load 100 grain Xtreme plated bullets with Red Dot . Finding data is tough. Anyone have any experience with this combination. I would like to load some test loads. 10 rounds each powder weight in .2 grain increments. What ya'll think?

Thanks Cmax :cool:

Loading the xtreme 100gr rnfp cp but using bullseye. They shoot well out of a LCP. Sorry I can't add any specifics for red dot but good luck and just start low and slowly work up.

Red Dot and Bullseye use very similar load data--often the same or within .2grains. The RedDot is bulkier.

I can find no listing of red dot in any of my manuals nor the Alliant manufacture print out.
so I would suggest that you check further before trying to load this powder.
Give the manufacture a call for advice is my advice.
Generally several other powders provide good production in the 380 and plated projectiles. I personally use 3.5 grains of unique loaded at .980 and a CCI standard small pistol primer with the 100 grain Extreme plated projectile.
As ALWAYS! use at your own risk as I have no idea of what I am doing and will not be responsible for the outcome.

Lyman's 49th Edition

That's the latest right, I bought it and it has no reference to Red Dot. 1 thing I have learned and the reason I post this type of question is the Reloading Manuals (all of them) are very limited on their data. I see a need for a current complete version probably online for more data. The manuals have been a big disappointment.

That's the latest right, I bought it and it has no reference to Red Dot. 1 thing I have learned and the reason I post this type of question is the Reloading Manuals (all of them) are very limited on their data. I see a need for a current complete version probably online for more data. The manuals have been a big disappointment.

You just need a collection of older reloading manuals. The newer ones are very limited. Here's a link to one of the old Hercules (precursor to Alliant) manuals:

http://www.bbhfarm.com/gallery/album06/abk

I was wrong, it is Lymans 48th that I am using. I would bet that the powder has not changed.

The popularity of Red Dot has deminished over the years. The books try to meet demand for certain data as well as provide accurate information.

The idea that the powder companies significantly change their formula without renaming it is not something I believe happens.
It would be too hard to get the unsold powder back before someone missused it. Some newer powders often have new load data developed or even new dangers discovered that have to be corrected after the initial data is released. Red Dot and the 380 are too old for anything new to be discovered.

Back
Top Bottom