42N New Gun Range McDonough HERITAGE! Not Army/Navy!!( don't recommend )

If we are talking about the gun range in the army/navy store in Stockbridge I had a good experience there, although it sounds like I might be the only one.
Here is my story. I call it, THE BARREL NUT: hope, change and triumph
It was a dark and stormy night. Probably. Anyway, I was sighting in a red dot on sandbags and was shooting good but when I stood up and shot I was hitting like a foot low at 25 yrds. A thorough inspection revealed a loose barrel nut which meant the barrel was wobbling and on the sandbags it was thrusting the barrel way up messing with POA/POI. No one to be mad at, I built it myself a few years back and didn't put it on very tight for the same reason I will get to in a minute. Took it home, put it in the block on the vice and got my armorers tool out. Now, for whatever reason, I could only get this thing barely past finger tight before the wrench would slip off. Who cares, except now the little sprockets on the nut wont line up with the gas tube and so I say "eff this" and dremel one of those beyotches off. Well, I cant remember why but it still wont work, I think I still couldn't get the gas tube back through for some reason. Oh yeah, did I mention I don't have a torque wrench? Well, actually I do but it was waaaaay on the other side of the garage and in a drawer so who needs that headache, am I right fellas? So, yeah, dremeled, still didn't work so I get on the phone and start calling local places about free float tubes hoping that will give me a different problem I might be able to solve so I don't have to think about the one in front of me that I cant. Anyway, Army Navy Stockbridge has a tube at a price I like (less than $120) and say they will even throw it on for me on the spot for a few bucks. Im like, "heck yeah! YOLO!" and so I haul ace over there. I walk in and find the gunsmith dude who ask me whats wrong with it. I relay my story, "A BARREL NUT: The unfinished lie" to him up till that point and he looks at me, looks at the gun, looks back at me and gives me that look people give me at libraries when they think I cant get erections, but I know this time it means "you frankenAR'ed this bad boy yourself didntcha?" I give him a look back like a proud papa that says "you know it MF'er." So he says hold on Ill juice ya up.
He goes in the back and comes out like 15 minutes later. Threw on an old, undremmeled (translation: no personality) barrel nut from his bench stock for free, torqued it to spec (apparently theirs was in reach), threw my old one in the trash (noooooooo!) and charged me like $20 for labor. Score!
He could have sold me a free float tube that I really didn't need, and charged me for the install and I probably would have felt okay. But instead he helped me out, saved me some money and I really felt taken care of. Sorry you guys are having bad experiences there. But that's my story, "A BARREL NUT: Hope, Change and Triumph

Last edited:
If we are talking about the gun range in the army/navy store in Stockbridge I had a good experience there, although it sounds like I might be the only one.
Here is my story. I call it, THE BARREL NUT: hope, change and triumph
It was a dark and stormy night. Probably. Anyway, I was sighting in a red dot on sandbags and was shooting good but when I stood up and shot I was hitting like a foot low at 25 yrds. A thorough inspection revealed a loose barrel nut which meant the barrel was wobbling and on the sandbags it was thrusting the barrel way up messing with POA/POI. No one to be mad at, I built it myself and didn't put it on very tight for the same reason I will get to in a minute. Took it home, put it in the block on the vice and got my armorers tool out. Now, for whatever reason, I could only get this thing barely past finger tight before the wrench would slip off. Who cares, except now the little sprockets on the nut wont line up with the gas tube and so I say "eff this" and dremel one of those beyotches off. well I cant remember why but it still wont work, I think I couldn't get the gas tube back through for some reason. Oh yeah did I mention I don't have a torque wrench. Well, actually I do but it was waaaaay on the other side of the garage and in a drawer so who needs that headache, am I right? So, yeah, dremeled, still didn't work so I get on the phone and start calling local places about free float tubes hoping that will give me a different problem I might be able to solve so I don't have to think about the one in front of me that I cant. Anyway, Army Navy Stockbridge has a tube at a price I like (less than $120) and say they will even throw it on for me on the spot for a few bucks. Im like, "heck yeah! YOLO!" and so ia haul ace over there. I walk in and find the gunsmith dude who ask me whats wrong with it. I relay my story, "A BARREL NUT: The unfinished lie" to him up till that point and he look s at me, lokks at the gun, looks back at me and gives me that look people give me at libraries when they think I cant get erections, but I know this time it means "you frankenAR'ed this bad boy yourself didntcha? I give him a look back like a proud papa that says "you know it MF'er." So he says hold on Ill juice ya up.
He goes in the back and comes out like 15 minutes later. Threw on an old, undremmeled (translation: no personality) barrel nut from his bench stock for free, torqued it to spec (apparently theirs was in reach), threw my old one in the trash (noooooooo!) and charged me like $20 for labor. Score!
He could have sold me a free float tube that I really didn't need, and charged me for the install and I probably would have felt okay. But instead he helped me out, saved me some money and I really felt taken care of. Sorry you guys are having bad experiences there. But that's my story, "A BARREL NUT: Hope, Change and Triumph

So I asked Captdave, "Dave, why is it again that you won't buy home builds?"

IMAG0138.jpg
So I asked Captdave, "Dave, why is it again that you won't buy home builds?"

Knowing how I put mine together, I would buy one if the price is right, but I would have it gone over by someone I trust. The one in the story was my first though, ill never sell her. You always love your first one the most!

This is pic of the gun in question, the green one on the bottom. The one on top is the wifes.

Last edited:
I've had only good experiences at Army/Navy; told this story in another thread a little while back, but the shortened version:

Had a set of used CT laser grips, needed the adjustment hex wrench that is smaller than what hardware stores sell. They go to the trouble of finding me one, then see the batteries are almost dead, fish out a set of those without saying a word, dial it in for me, hand it back & say "go give it a try".

You hit nail on the head (AirOpsMgr) And it Heritage not Army Navy that group of guys are great !

I agree its state of art Range Nice no doubt and I have the guys name just didnt want to call him out because he is known by many ! And $15 isnt much but its the principal ! Stand by what you tell a customer ! Irregaurdless I will not go back ! PS anyone know where I can get Truglo nite sites put on a S&W Shield ?

Back
Top Bottom