• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 auto mag, curious does anyone have one ? How's the recoil ?

My dad had one when i was younger…. Like 40yrs younger ! Lol.
I think his was a Weatherby?? Looked kind of like the one in the post.
In for info !! (I would love one made in…yep .41Mag ! What else?? ) lol.

Looked up specs. It appears they're calling for 240gr bullets at @1700FPS. That's pretty potent for recoil. I thought this pistol was gas operated. All it said was short action. With the auto design that will help some. If the action is adjustable and you reload, you could tapper it to something that would work well.

Looked up specs. It appears they're calling for 240gr bullets at @1700FPS. That's pretty potent for recoil. I thought this pistol was gas operated. All it said was short action. With the auto design that will help some. If the action is adjustable and you reload, you could tapper it to something that would work well.
Yeah but you have to figure, this is not really a .44 Magnum per se…. As the clip shows in the OP…. It is a .308 trimmed down to accept. .429 projectile. So the brass is thicker i bet but yeah - zipping a 240grainer down line ?? Badass ! :target:

A friend of mine had one of the original Hi Standard Automags. One day I was behind him watching him shoot when I noticed he was tucking his head into his shoulder when he let one go. Wondering why, I started walking up to him and was off the side of him a few feet when he let it rip. The concussion off that round almost knocked me over. So, yeah, there's a bit of recoil.

Mack Bolan used this and a Beretta.93R for up close work, always shooting the bad Mafia guys in the head. I grew up reading the 'Executioner' series of books.

It would be neat to own, but probably wouldn't get used much.

Back
Top Bottom