• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.45 ACP Loads

TinManMike

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
111   0
Reaction score
Setting up to load some 45 ACP and was looking to see what some of you guys are using as far as recommended powders. I'll be loading 230 gr Berry's and Rainers. I have HS-6, HP 38 & W231 and some Titegroup. Found loads for all of these powders, just curious what some of you may suggest. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
I have used titegroup and W231 with poor performance out of W231 unless loads were near the high end. Titegroups is nice but you can double charge the case. I shoot Clays now after reviewing the loads on http://www.brianenos.com/forums great range load. Over 20,000 round loaded with Clays

the Clays runs all my 45ACPs and cheap and soft shooting.

Sold,
Thanks for the reply. I forgot that I have some Clays. I'll research this further and maybe give it a try. Was the poor performance out of the 231 while you were using 230 gr projectiles? Have a few buddies using 231/HP 38 and most speak highly about their experience.

yea 230

It works great when you get near the high end but I had lots of fail to feed on some of my guns. I have 3 shooters in the house and 7 45s so want something that runs them all and shoots soft.

Just load up 5 or 6 at different levels of W231 You will find one that works well.

I am a cheapskate got to love just 4 grains to load full power 45acp 230fmj with Clays. So far I have converted three range buddies to Clays

I use titegroup for my 45 and 9mm. love it. BUT it is possible to double charge a 45 case without overflow (possibly triple) so just check each case.

I dont remember my loads off the top of my head. I do know you can WAAAAAYYYY underload a .45 and it still functions in a glock in 95% of the time.

dont ask...

2 of my manuals say 3.5 grains to start and max of 4.0 grains of Clays for the 230 gr Berry's. Any pressure concerns or issues with that load? I'll start low and try them out, but usually stay away from max loads due to my limited experience. Thanks again for the replies guys!

most often... the most accurate load is not near the top end.

I assume that is what you are going for with the plated projectiles?

2 of my manuals say 3.5 grains to start and max of 4.0 grains of Clays for the 230 gr Berry's. Any pressure concerns or issues with that load? I'll start low and try them out, but usually stay away from max loads due to my limited experience. Thanks again for the replies guys!

Ton of guys running 4g Clays on a 230 but you are right to start low and work up to what works for you. I use a Dillon 650 with auto powder check. it is set to 3.9 and is accurate to +/- .1 grain

I have never had a problem. Just start low, check each load and you will find what shoots best out of your guns

Titegroup is very good too just not as soft of a shooter.

Back
Top Bottom