• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.45 ACP Loads

Sold, Thanks for the chart, it is much appreciated. It appears that I'll be putting some loads together with the Clays this weekend. It figures, it is the one powder i have the least of! Lol!

Sold, Thanks for the chart, it is much appreciated. It appears that I'll be putting some loads together with the Clays this weekend. It figures, it is the one powder i have the least of! Lol!

Keep in mind that chart is for lighter weight bullets It gives you the idea that the hottest loads are not always the most accurate

Yea, I saw that. Just interesting to see the differences. I have a great load for my 9mm plated bullets, really soft and pretty damn accurate. Just looking for some 45 ideas. Some great responses so far!

2 of my manuals say 3.5 grains to start and max of 4.0 grains of Clays for the 230 gr Berry's. Any pressure concerns or issues with that load? I'll start low and try them out, but usually stay away from max loads due to my limited experience. Thanks again for the replies guys!

The good thing about the 45 ACP is it is already a low pressure round. It also makes use of a lot of different powders from slow burning all the way up to the fastest powders. If I had to pick a handgun cartridge for someone to learn on this would be it. Just look for signs on the case such as color change which would indicate the case is not forming a chamber seal most likely due to undercharge. The primer can also tell you a lot about a load. With the Berry's plated I use Titegroup and I have found they perform better on the high side of lead data(or the lower side of jacketed) with a light taper crimp. Good luck with your hobby.

I have had good results with W231/HP38. (They are the same powder)

I load 5.25 grains of 231 with a 200 grain lead SWC. Gives about 850fps in my 1911.

Most of my 230 grain loads were done with Bullseye powder.

I use HP38 for 45 ACP and 44 Mag loads. Never had a problem with it using as low as 4.5 grains of powder pushing 230gr FMJ or Soft Lead out of my CZ 97 and my friends HK USP 45.

I think 4.0 Bullseye with any lead bullet between 185 and 230 does a good job and is very accurate, but light in power and recoil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom