• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45 ACP primer size?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
122   0
Reaction score
I'm getting into reloading 45 and found that there are some small primer brass out there... what's the difference (besides primer size :)) and why would you want one or the other? I shoot calibers with both small and large primers so I have plenty of both on hand just was curious if it's like the 6.8SPC with some specific reasons why you might want SR or LR brass...

also I know that Glock has barrels that they recommend that you not shoot lead bullets in them because of the rifling. Are there any other manufacturers out there that are similar? considering an FNH 45 if it matters...

If your reloading 45 acp and collecting brass at the ranges that is something you have to do is inspect your casings for primer sizes. I load with large primers. I have a can full of brass with "small" primers in them. Seems all I have found in a small primer for 45 acp is Federal.

I have no idea why they do it on a 45 ACP. It's not like it's a high pressure round that needs the extra strength at the base. The 6.8 supposedly can be safely loaded to higher pressures with the small rifle primers. The 45 ACP ain't likely to be chambered in anything that will handle significantly higher pressure anyway. In my opinion, it's just an added aggravation for the handloader. I'm sure the ammo engineers have some reasonable excuse for it, but I can't see it.

The 45 with the small primers were loaded as "clean safe" ammo with a clean primer, which were only available in the small size.

Why would anyone want "dirty dangerous" ammo? Someone could get hurt with it. Tree hugging political correctness run amuck!

The "clean safe" ammo is supposed to be lead free. Apparantly there is some sort of residue from the primers that has heavy metal in it as well, I'm not sure if it's lead or not. I think it was more of a marketing experiment rather than political correctness.

Wheeler

There was just a little tongue-n-cheek in my statement, but it's true. It's political correctness, lead free everything. Steel shot, lead free bullets, lead free gas, and so forth. Make them lead free it you want, but make em the right size and affordable. The EPA will put us out of shooting just as quick or quicker than the BATFE.

Why would anyone want "dirty dangerous" ammo? Someone could get hurt with it. Tree hugging political
correctness run amuck!

There was just a little tongue-n-cheek in my statement, but it's true. It's political correctness, lead free everything. Steel shot, lead free bullets, lead free gas, and so forth. Make them lead free it you want, but make em the right size and affordable. The EPA will put us out of shooting just as quick or quicker than the BATFE.

yea .....you made a lil funny ............lol

but your posts always have a point and are informative ..........so you needed a lil funny .....:cool:

I used to keep the .45 ACP brass with the small primer pocket. They got to be such a pain in the butt to keep separated that I now just throw them in my scrap brass bucket. I have so many of the "correct" ones that I don't need to worry with them.

Back
Top Bottom