45 Sheriff?

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Another one in the works. Was looking to come up with one in 45 that had no ejection. Just a good beat around and woods gun. Grabbed up a nice 45 convertible Blackhawk. So far its coming along and the initial test shooting with the bulk of the hard work done and I love it as a single handed shooter. So far I've test fired with 45 ACP, 45 ACP +P and light and heavy loads in 45 colt. Will have to try out some 45 Super. What I really wanted was a 45 auto revolver and this one happened to come with the colt cylinder to. Perhaps I can also set it up with some long shell shot loads in the 45 colt cylinder and have a 5 cartridge convertible. I think it'll be a keeper....already shortened the mernikle crossdraw holster for the 2 7/8" barrel. A good bit more work to do but its coming along nicely.

List of work so far includes shortening barrel, tapered the front of the cylinder pin, losing ejection system from the barrel, removing ejector loop from the frame, flat top, coltish nose work, starting to round over the top strap (probably more to follow), scallop the recoil shield and loading gate, Bisley hammer, Bisley trigger, indian head nickel front sight and the brass lightning grip frame. Mebby off to the range again this weekend.

I'm thinkin it'll be brown with black cylinders.

i.imgur.com_A1nApOF.jpg

i.imgur.com_eNpQ97P.jpg

i.imgur.com_ix1b8Kp.jpg

i.imgur.com_NkZLjJm.jpg

i.imgur.com_U4zw8Yg.jpg

i.imgur.com_IA0oOiS.jpg

Yep. And that mernickle cross draw is awesome. Never had one before. But, I'll fix that soon. mebby get another one for my smith 60 every day carry!

While I wait a couple days for the ProBed2000 to kick hard on the Coach project (its a durn site slower than acraglas in the hardening department), I think I'm nearly done changing the 45 Sheriff to suit me.

Started with knocking the sharp edges off the front of both cylinders.....

i.imgur.com_CL2JCSH.jpg

And then I knocked the sharp edge off the front circumference of the barrel.....a wider chamfer looks better on this stubby barrel.

i.imgur.com_7KaXQXJ.jpg

Took the ruger label off the left side of the barrel.....and contrary to the optical delusion, Ol Chiefs nose is a good 1/16" back of the muzzle so he won't get his lips blown up into the back of his eyeballs.

i.imgur.com_eTMpIe2.jpg

Overall, and likely ready for the refinishing.....maybe grips yet but nearly there.....

i.imgur.com_F04mMYZ.jpg

i.imgur.com_CqNnYwG.jpg

i.imgur.com_902Ny1u.jpg

Taking some of the square off the nose.....a bit more work to do with jewlers files but close......needs to come down more on the leading edge of the top strap.

i.imgur.com_Xre2Vp6.jpg

Not a melt though. Remember, Melt is Kimbers marketing strategy for retaining low wage polishers of dubious skill and attention span.

i.imgur.com_m5EycYy.jpg

Had it out to the range. The mernickle cross draw holster really needs a hammer loop for better retention. Didn't drop it but it doesn't ride as tight to the hip as I like and the angle is sufficient, I'll feel more comfortable out and about in the yard and the woods with a hammer loop.

That said, the function and accuracy is great and the target at 15m and all the plates to 25m suffered badly. Shot 150 of the 45 acp, factory 230s, handloaded 230s and handloaded 185s. The range of adjustment is fine and should work nicely for the 45 colt cylinder as well.

Suspect its time to clean off the Black T and the Cold Blue and get this one done up black and brown.

Back
Top Bottom