• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger 10-45 Inline Muzzleloading Rifle

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Starting at the breech end of the yet to arrive barrel, an old 1937 Dodge steel brake pedal arm is fitted for 5/8-18 breech plug.

a.jpeg

Finished boring out the recess in the powder chamber, chamfered the inside edge and beveling over the outside edge of the threads next so I can run it in and see if it meets the rifling evenly. Took the measurement on the powder chamber so that when the nipple comes i can decide if i want a breech wall between nipple and powder or just bore straight through and have it set up like a barrel mounted nipple. For now, I'm going to try it with a wall and flash channel between nipple and powder.

The powder chamber is .468" deep....the breech is threaded .554" deep, so all the chamber is inside the barrel.

b.jpeg

Cut to 26.25 inch. Beveled inside and out. .5 inch ball seat reamed for PRB and full wadcutters.

So far, all hand tools.

c.jpeg

Since there are no barrel bands that transition Coleraine Octagon to Ruger 10-22...

Aluminium cracks when bending cold, so I used gentle heat. It won't glow and the transition to puddle is quick.

The ears help keep the bends aligned.

d.jpeg

Brand new Ruger BX trigger assembly arrived. I'll only be using hammer/sear, trigger, safety and housing. Everything else is removed and destined for the spares box.

Note, the nipple angles down slightly. It'll allow the hammer to hit square without loosing contact between hammer strut and its groove in the back of the hammer.

Now to make side rails. Chop the trigger housing and fit up a rear mounting lug to hang the assembly in the right spot.
10-22 stock action inlet is filled at the mag section with cherry and set up with a recoil cross bolt.

e.jpeg

A couple trips through the chop saw and things look good.

At this location I can go with it I think. It'll put the breech 3/4 or so back in the action inlet, should help the balance.

f.jpeg

Getting close to looking like a rifle. Almost done mounting the trigger housing and a few more minutes file work and the barrel will drop all the way in.

g.jpeg

And just like that, the action dropped into place. To the right is the old bolt lock, flipped upside down, moved left to right and modified with a spring to function as an automatically retracting hammer cocking piece.

h.jpeg

Rugers BX mainspring (right, below) rendered a 2 lb 12 oz trigger pull.

Problematic was occasionally it required reset for a second or third strike to light the cap.

Adjusted nipple cone dimensions to fully seat the cap and got no better performance.

Rooting under the bench yielded a long ago launched Blackhawk revolver mainspring. I knew it was there but it's been about 3 years since I needed to kneel down and feel around for it. Found it along with some spent cases, dog hair and several mouse turds.

In any event, it's wire was several thousands thicker, wire spacing much the same and 20 thousands of so larger in diameter. More power!

Ruger mainspring has 19 coils and I tried the new spring at 20 eventually settling on 18 coils for the new extra power spring.

Fiddled it back together and it will now reliably pop caps, clean and dirty, seated and unseated.

The new trigger pull weight is 3 lbs 8 oz, crisp, clean and reliable.

j.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom