• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.451 230gr fmj-rn .45 colt

1911guy

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
21   0
Reaction score
Has anyone, or can you load this bullet in .45 colt. I found a load for 200 gr swc cast bullets that I shoot through 1911's, for 45 colt. I want to buy a 45 colt, but have tons of the 230 fmj-rn that I would like to use. Any thoughts?

The only real problem with using them in any revolver will be getting a good crimp on them since there's no cannelure for a roll crimp. You can try adjusting your acp seating die up and applying a firm taper crimp so they won't shoot loose under recoil, causing the cylinder to lock. They're also undersized, and may not shoot quite as accurately as the revolver's capable of.

You could probably use them for 'plinking' weight loads (with Chuckdog's suggestions), but I wouldn't use them for heavier loads or expect great accuracy.

Would be willing to swap some 255gr SWC 45 Colt bullets for some of what you got. Even have some heavier stuff for the old colt.

Tom

Honestly I think trading them would be your best bet.

I believe these guys are all right. The bore in a 45acp is .451 the bore in a newer 45colt is .452 the early first generation peacemakers were .454 because they were using the .44 blackpowder bullets. I think you might get a little expansion on the lead bullets upon ignition, but it remains to be seen just what kind of accuracy you might get. Sense you reload give it a try. By the way, a few manufactures make convertible models you can shoot .45colt and acp. It requires the extra acp cylinder. I always figured the acp rounds would tumble as my .357- 9mm did. .357 dia. vs .355 for 9mm. Your at least a 1000th" closer. The .45 round is inherently very accurate. If you were looking for ballistics, I don't think you would get the velocity out of the acp like you would out of the colt because the bullet wouldn't seal well enough in the barrel to produce maxium pressures and of course the cylinder gap in the revolver.

Back
Top Bottom