The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
457CCADE-68ED-4BCB-A1B3-E09592E3BB45.jpeg
D2214EBE-DF7A-4FB6-9CFA-3C52DD5AD196.jpeg
A2F1FCBE-274D-4226-ADCB-78B27A6699A8.jpeg
5CD19440-8CE7-41B9-B4BD-2531542D982D.jpeg
F5FFBC93-677F-45F7-A446-CE3BD663BE32.jpeg

My uncle gave me this 48 Star Flag. The stars are embroidered. The red and white stripes are individually sewn together. The flag appears to be made out of cotton. It has a tear that has been repaired. Usually all flags have brass grommets. This one appears to have steel or aluminum. Which seems like it might out it in the WW2 era when they saved brass for ammunition. My grandfather was in the Navy during WW2 and the Korean War. From what I can tell official US Navy flags have marking stating such. I also read where that kinda went to the way side during WW2. Nobody knows where it came from or the history other than it was in my grandfathers belongings.

Have you considered having it mounted it in a glass covered picture frame to keep as a part of your heritage to display for family and friends to see when we only had 48, until the last two states were added to the present 50 States, that is a neat part of our American Heritage, congrats for your valued family find...

Nice old banner. Certainly seen plenty of time waving judging by the repairs.
What did you about Annin?
I believe Annin is one of the current US makers of flags. I'm pretty sure I've had some recently-made flags from them, bought either locally (Walmart/Target/Home Depot/Lowe's) or from Amazon.

Have you considered having it mounting it in a glass covered picture frame to keep as a part of your
heritage to display for family and friends to see when we only had 48, until the last two states were added to the present 50 States, that is a neat part of our American Heritage, congrats for your valued family find...

I have thought about having it mounted. But at 4x5 it takes a lot of wall space.

The United States had 48 states when Arizona was admitted into the union on 14 February 1912. The U.S. continued to have 48 states until Alaska and Hawaii both joined in 1959. So I think your flag was made between 1912 and 1958 and may actually be much older than WWII, or it may be newer... hard to tell. Very cool piece of history either way.

https://www.wisegeek.com/when-were-individual-states-admitted-to-the-us.htm

The United States had 48 states when Arizona was admitted into the union on 14 February 1912. The U.S. continued to have 48 states until Alaska and Hawaii both joined in 1959. So I think your flag was made between 1912 and 1958 and may actually be much older than WWII, or it may be newer... hard to tell.

https://www.wisegeek.com/when-were-individual-states-admitted-to-the-us.htm

It’s not dated anywhere. Defiance Flag company is in business. I didn’t a bunch of looking in the Internet for any information at all. Kinda tough to date them. Only thing different is the grommets.

Back
Top Bottom