4x4/off-road/jeep clubs going trail riding today?

A trip I advocate for folks that are driving a bit to get up here is to go up Chimney Mtn road in Sautee, take a right through the rocky road and out to either Corbin Creek Road, or back down Tray mtn road to Alt 75, north to 76, right on 76 to Upper Hightower, down Charlie Creek, and come out in/near Clayton. It makes for a few hours of offroad driving and nothing a stock ride can either get through or get around. Now my nephew just got stuck on Charlies Creek in (supposedly) 3 feet of mud, but I'm not sure where on the road he was.

If ya'll want to make a trip out of it, we could meet in Cleveland and end in Clayton.

A trip I advocate for folks that are driving a bit to get up here is to go up Chimney Mtn road in Sautee, take a right through the rocky road and out to either Corbin Creek Road, or back down Tray mtn road to Alt 75, north to 76, right on 76 to Upper Hightower, down Charlie Creek, and come out in/near Clayton. It makes for a few hours of offroad driving and nothing a stock ride can either get through or get around. Now my nephew just got stuck on Charlies Creek in (supposedly) 3 feet of mud, but I'm not sure where on the road he was.

If ya'll want to make a trip out of it, we could meet in Cleveland and end in Clayton.

I'm with this guy. I need to go visit the FIL at Lake Burton anyways.

I'm in.
should we have some ground rules though?
rules like:
have recovery points in the front and the back of your heap, at least bring a strap?
have a CB/FRS/GMRS/something radio
and keeping it kid friendly?

looking forward to it.

[clint eastwood] a man has to no his limitations[/clint eastwood]

Yeah, good idea. recover points, or at least don't gripe if you get hung up and your bumper gets damaged on the extraction.

Reality is, Tray has no place anyone should get stuck. My BIL took his 89 chevy extra cab 4x4 up tray, through the rocks and out with no issues, so it's really about approach angles, maybe a little momentum to get over anything.

Tray is basically an unmaintained gravel road except for two or three spots where having 4x4 is necessary, and even then, there is a means of going around the ditch. It's just that guys with lifted, locked trucks may want to put it in the spot just to "conquer" it.

Charlies on the other hand, is a mostly well groomed dirt road until you get to spots that the mud has settled. If it's rained, the river crossing could be a problem for some. I've been through it when the water was over my 35's, and I've also seen stock Tundras cross it, so that's where the first line comes into play. Don't over-estimate your vehicle or your abilities.

I would be in. 05 Rubicon has Michelin sorta of street tires right now but i have straps and comealongs. Can't do 3 foot of mud though.

Just a couple things that come to mind for those that haven't ridden in a group.

There are pretty much two rules to follow. 1.If the guy ahead of you is attempting a climb, rock, etc. Leave enough space for him to back up, for you to not get pummeled by rocks/gravel if his tires spin, and don't start up/over until he is clear and you have room to complete it. 2. We often run with our headlights on. If you don't see the guy behind you, wait for him until you do. It keeps you from losing folks, and if he's stuck, you can pass on the word, or help him out.

A group usually has a trail leader and a tail gunner. The trail leader makes sure everyone in the group can get through. The tail gunner is there to pull people out, and prevent stragglers.

I've got a winch, straps, 35's KM2's, and 3 inches of lift. I like to ride where we have at least a winch leading and a winch in the rear. Ideally having a winch on at least every other vehicle is better. Of course if we are taking easy trails that doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom