• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

5.56 AK issues PSA 101

moose3840

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
132   0
Reaction score
Howdy Folks.
Over the years I have owned several 5.56 AKs. Never had an issue. Decided I needed one again. PSA had their AK101s on sale so I picked one up. While waiting for mine to arrive I actually decided to look at the reviews and such. Not great but it seemed to be just a very vocal couple persons complaining. The rifle got here and I could find nothing wrong with it.

Loaded up some magazines and hit the range. First hundred rounds were flawless. Then got the occasional failure to eject. I noticed that from time to time I would see brass ejected onto the bench next to me. The rest of the time it was flying away as it should.

Got home and started cleaning the rifle and got to looking at the extractor spring. It looked weird. Kinda kinked up and out of shape. (Picture 1) I pulled it out and it was much smaller than a regular AK extractor spring. It is the small one in the picture the other spring is regular AK extractor spring. So I installed full size extractor spring. Functioned great, held cases to bolt face. Then came range day.

So on range day the rifle ran great. Till it did not. Because of the full power extractor spring my brass was being absolutely mangled. I am sure with steel case ammo it would probably have been okay.

I am going to say it did not go into battery. Out of 150 rounds I had four rounds that did not fire. At first I thought it was some sort of light primer strike issue. But the rounds would not go off the second time I ran them through the rifle. Of all the rounds which would not fire, the rim was literally smashed. So now I am thinking again too much extractor power. So I snipped a coil off the extractor spring. Again, the bolt fact and extractor appeared to have good control of the round. So back to the range.

Rifle ran great. Till it did not. Same problem. Brass is not quite as mangled. But my FTFs all had the smashed rim. (Picture 2). The FTF is the middle case. You can clearly see the crushing on the case rim. Again would not fire the second time. There is slight primer contact by the firing pin. More than takes place from the non spring loaded firing pin when a round is chambered. (Picture 3)

So, before I get snippy with the spring again, I thought I would ask the hive here and see if anyone has any better idea.

Again, I like a challenge and see no need to send the rifle back to PSA as it appears great otherwise. I have not tried steel cased ammo. Don't really want to as Hornady TAP and Winchester Ranger do not come in a steel case. And what is the point of having a weapon if you can't use it as intended. I mean I guess you could shoot people, places and things with Tula ball ammo. But....

Questions or comments? Or better yet, Answers?

Thanks
Moose

Pictures

Attachments

• 20230623_113346.jpg
    20230623_113346.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230705_124053.jpg
    20230705_124053.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230705_125456.jpg
    20230705_125456.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 66
Update:
I replaced the extractor and extractor spring with one from an actual Polish Beryl. Rifle now runs 110%.
Comparing the PSA Extractor to the Beryl the problem is obvious.
The scallop on the face of the Beryl extractor is much deeper. The scallop on the PSA is not as deep and one can see where the extractor had been bashing the back of the case. Also the Beryl part is better machined and finished.

Attachments

• 20230718_094829.jpg
    20230718_094829.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom