• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

50% OFF DD Free Float Rails

Sad...even at half price they are still overpriced. You mall ninjas can have your free floating aluminum quad tacticool overpriced handguards that offer nothing but bling. Drop in Magpul MOE handguards rock and weigh a lot less. With a 16 inch carbine, you aren't gaining accuracy advantage by free floating your rails enough to notice any difference regardless of your skills. It's all hype. The weight added would serve you better at the rear of the rifle...if at all...I have tried about every configuration there is...and none of my ARs free float anymore. Maybe it's just me, but taking the weight off at that particular area of the rifle has more benefits for me than any hypothetical claim of free float accuracy.

Sad...even at half price they are still overpriced. You mall ninjas can have your free floating aluminum quad tacticool overpriced handguards that offer nothing but bling. Drop in Magpul MOE handguards rock and weigh a lot less. With a 16 inch carbine, you aren't gaining accuracy advantage by free floating your rails enough to notice any difference regardless of your skills. It's all hype. The weight added would serve you better at the rear of the rifle...if at all...I have tried about every configuration there is...and none of my ARs free float anymore. Maybe it's just me, but taking the weight off at that particular area of the rifle has more benefits for me than any hypothetical claim of free float accuracy.

This ^^^^

Again, maybe it is just me (too), but in my limited experience, a heavier buffer appears to be a better investment in reliability and accuracy

If you shoot slung up with the factory sling position on the front sight base, you can torque the barrel to the slung side. The problem comes in that not every shot you put the same pressure on the sling meaning the amount the barrel is torqued changes each time and the repeatability changes. If it was a constant torque you could adjust the sights for it but since it would change from shot to shot you can't compensate for it.

Add a free floating barrel and change the sling point onto the tube and you can torque it all you want now and it doesn't affect the barrel at all and it's more repeatable. It doesn't ADD accuracy, but it removes a variable factor from it.

If you shoot slung up with the factory sling position on the front sight base, you can torque the barrel to the slung side. The problem comes in that not every shot you put the same pressure on the sling meaning the amount the barrel is torqued changes each time and the repeatability changes. If it was a constant torque you could adjust the sights for it but since it would change from shot to shot you can't compensate for it.

Add a free floating barrel and change the sling point onto the tube and you can torque it all you want now and it doesn't affect the barrel at all and it's more repeatable. It doesn't ADD accuracy, but it removes a variable factor from it.

Good Point, well taken ... but in my case, I'm using a single point sling and a carbine length setup (which seems to favor a heavier buffer).
Lots of discussion around on this topic ... AND, I (like most) appreciate the posting of others actual experience (both good and bad!)

Good Point, well taken ... but in my case, I'm using a single point sling and a carbine length setup (which seems to favor a heavier buffer).
Lots of discussion around on this topic ... AND, I (like most) appreciate the posting of others actual experience (both good and bad!)

I don't care for single point slings personally due to the nut banging/leg burning factor of them.

I prefer a 2 point adjustable such as the Vickers by blue force gear on QD push button swivels. I put the flush cups in the stock and in the float tube to streamline the set up.

I don't like railed forearms personally, I like a smoother feel. I think quad rails are basically cheese graters on the hands if you slide around on them. I'd rather have smaller pieces of rail mounted if I need to mount something

Back
Top Bottom