• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.5 Creedmoor

cr107

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
167   0
Reaction score
How well does 6.5 suppress? Looking at my first rifle caliber host and can't decide if I want to go .308 or 6.5 since it seems to be gaining popularity. The Ruger American Predator seems like a good entry option for this caliber.

Well, it's a great, accurate round, but at the typical 2700-3000 fps the round is loaded to, your bullet is going to be making a significant supersonic crack. A good rifle can will cut down the muzzle blast a good bit, but that's about it.

So you'll have to either deal with that, or handload some heavy subsonic rounds (which I don't know if any recipes exist) at which point you'll be giving up it's ballistic advantage.

Disclaimer: I've never shot 6.5 creedmoor suppressed or unsuppressed. It's just physics that a bullet that fast is going to be loud as it travels downrange.

Anything supersonic has the crack. I've got several thousand suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor rounds down range, and it's quite nice.

Environmentals, what's surrounding the firing point, etc all affect perceived sound.

If you want movie quiet go subsonic.. but it generally requires handloading, stability verification, fast twists and drastically reduced effective range.

doing more research I found my answer and it supports exactly what you guys said. Didn't really think about the fact that this round is supposed to be fast to support its range capabilities. Looks like maybe I'll stick with something in 308 or 300 Blackout

It suppresses very well, but it really depends on the can that you use. With my Allen Engineering can I was shooting inside of a deuce and a Half and the the RO asked if I was shooting subsonic ammo, said it was the quietest can he ever heard. It'll still be hearing safe with any of the main cans on the market.

6.5 suppresses well considering that the round is traveling over 2700fps. Quieter at the ear than the standard 308. In general, 6.5 match ammo is a bit less expensive than match 308 ammo, but you don't have the option of just crappy tula or perfecta ammo and such for 50 cents per round.

Back
Top Bottom