• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6mm ARC AR15

not necessarily better,the ARC IS OUT PREFORMING THE 308 in many categories!
Yea, things have changed over the years no doubt. I don’t know who but I read “some special units of the US armed forces” are doing very well with the 6mmARC. Seem’s the DOJ were the first to ask Honady about it? They obviously wanted 7.62x51 range out of the lighter M16 platform and the older I get the better that sounds lol. I do agree about the bigger bullet having more foot pounds down range though 1/3 more grain . Lastly, I read a Pew article that suggested 16”-18” barrels were sufficient, the arc blows its load pretty quick. Keeping the chamber pressure moderate stood out to me as well. Gotta get it soon if I’m gonna…

I never get to shoot people, so I relate everything to deer. 6.5G beats .243 when bullets 'meat' bone. Not sure how less powder behind a .243 is an improvement.

223 is about the same as .243 in effect on game. Kind of a headscratcher, but I've seen it many times. So, I suggest you consider whether .243 is enough. If so, .223 is just fine. If you need a little more, 6.5G.

It helps if you consider use of these cartridges off-the-range has a practical limit of 250 yards because you're have to go looking for shots longer than that in GA.

If you're shooting at targets way out there and no intention of killing anything please disregard all above.

Yea, things have changed over the years no doubt. I don’t know who but I read “some special units of the US armed forces” are doing very well with the 6mmARC. Seem’s the DOJ were the first to ask Honady about it? They obviously wanted 7.62x51 range out of the lighter M16 platform and the older I get the better that sounds lol. I do agree about the bigger bullet having more foot pounds down range though 1/3 more grain . Lastly, I read a Pew article that suggested 16”-18” barrels were sufficient, the arc blows its load pretty quick. Keeping the chamber pressure moderate stood out to me as well. Gotta get it soon if I’m gonna…
i have a to. of ammo! if u are in need!

The problem I have with any of the wizbang "LR" cartridges for the AR-15 platform is that they require too much barrel length. I love the 12.5-16" range in an AR and if I have to go longer, I am going to use a different platform.
When they give me a cartridge that will give me around 3k fps from 13-14", mild recoil and high BC, they will have my attention. Until then I will just press .223 as far as I can.

The problem I have with any of the wizbang "LR" cartridges for the AR-15 platform is that they require too much barrel length. I love the 12.5-16" range in an AR and if I have to go longer, I am going to use a different platform.
When they give me a cartridge that will give me around 3k fps from 13-14", mild recoil and high BC, they will have my attention. Until then I will just press .223 as far as I can.
According to Ballistic Advantage 16” inches of barrel is all it needs. Optimal =16-18”.
IMG_4256.png
If you read the field reviews, 16” get’s the job done . A lot of’em are using even shorter barrels. I’m not trying to sell the cartridge, but I think they have found the most efficient round for a 16” M16?

I never get to shoot people, so I relate everything to deer. 6.5G beats .243 when bullets 'meat' bone. Not sure how less powder behind a .243 is an improvement.

223 is about the same as .243 in effect on game. Kind of a headscratcher, but I've seen it many times. So, I suggest you consider whether .243 is enough. If so, .223 is just fine. If you need a little more, 6.5G.

It helps if you consider use of these cartridges off-the-range has a practical limit of 250 yards because you're have to go looking for shots longer than that in GA.

If you're shooting at targets way out there and no intention of killing anything please disregard all above.
I’m still looking at Grendel but the barrel life is half that of the ARC and we like to shoot a good bit, trying to get those groups tighter more these days than hunting. With all the new “Deer Hunting Ammo” for 223/243 and good shot placement means meat in the freezer. I do agree that the Grendel has more knockdown power Sir.

I’m still looking at Grendel but the barrel life is half that of the ARC and we like to shoot a good bit, trying to get those groups tighter more these days than hunting. With all the new “Deer Hunting Ammo” for 223/243 and good shot placement means meat in the freezer. I do agree that the Grendel has more knockdown power Sir.
Not sure about 65Grendel barrel life less than 6ARC - I would expect 6.5 life to exceed 6mm life with similar powder weights (which they are).

Not sure about 65Grendel barrel life less than 6ARC - I would expect 6.5 life to exceed 6mm life with similar powder weights (which they are).
Yeah, the arc should have a shorter barrel life as it's overbored compared to the 6 5 Grendel. That said, both have great barrel life. I wouldn't worry about it if choosing between the 2.

Back
Top Bottom