• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6mm ARC AR15

I haven’t looked into the 22 arc. I’m curious how it will do as a hunting platform. I’m m thinking smaller game only. 6 arc has had good success with that from what I’ve seen. Would like to shoot a deer with 6 arc and compare the wound cavity to my 300 blackout.

What exactly are your seeking? AR for target or competition? Hunting? General replacement for 5.56? Short barrel vs long barrel? Suppressed or un-suppressed? I ask because there is a host of options to 5.56 in small frame ARs and most have a niche. Depending on use (and logistics of reload vs factory ammo) will lead to the "best" choice.

6.8SPC "niche" is hunting - it started out as potential military round but in US it seems to be mostly used for hunting deer and hogs to 300ish.

I have several of the niche small frame AR caliber uppers - if only getting one I would get 6ARC now and skip 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel (or wait on 22 ARC or see what happens with 6MAX and the inevitable 22MAX).

I guess what I’m seeking is “hunting at distance”.

I’m just playing with an idea, a hypothetical scenario… wondering if there’s a small frame AR cartridge that could ever make enough sense to replace my 308 AR. (Example: an 18” barrel 6arc replacing an 18” barrel 308). If so, what’s best performer? What cartridge squeezes the most energy at distance out of the small frame AR platform?

I never said I wanted to replace my 5.56 systems.

And I like charts, so would be fun to see a side-by-side comparison of these 4…
108gr 6arc with 18” barrel (gas gun)
168gr 308 with 18” barrel (gas gun)
175gr 308 with 18” barrel (gas gun)
77gr 5.56 with 18” barrel (gas gun)

And now yall got me wanting to add 6.8spc and 22arc and 6max to the chart.

I guess what I’m seeking is “hunting at distance”.

I’m just playing with an idea, a hypothetical scenario… wondering if there’s a small frame AR cartridge that could ever make enough sense to replace my 308 AR. (Example: an 18” barrel 6arc replacing an 18” barrel 308). If so, what’s best performer? What cartridge squeezes the most energy at distance out of the small frame AR platform?

I never said I wanted to replace my 5.56 systems.
I guess it depends on what actually matters too you. Simply put, there is nothing in a small frame AR that is going to compete particularly well with a SA cartidge, BUT, there are certainly improvements that can be made going from 308 to say 6.5cm, 6mm CM, 243, etc. You can go lighter weight and less recoil all at the same time.

My initial findings on the 6 MAX…

It gives you 20” barrel performance out of a 10.5” barrel, using traditional 5.56 bullet weights.

103gr max vs 108gr arc loadings out of a 16” gas gun ballistics are almost identical.

Biggest difference/seller on the max is it uses milspec 5.56x45 bolts. Meaning more reliable than thin walled bolts and no broken lugs or extractors. Ideal mag is the 350 legend mag.

Pretty neat. Gonna look into it more but sounds like max>arc.

My initial findings on the 6 MAX…

Pretty neat. Gonna look into it more but sounds like max>arc.
I would agree with your assessment. The biggest issue with the 6MAX is factory support. I'm sure there will be some limited factory ammo made but unless you are reloading, the 6 ARC is going to be around for a while. If you are trying to squeeze the most out of it, the 6MAX may be up your alley but you will have to be prepared to load your own. Plus Hornady is being the 6ARC (and 22ARC that seems to be the new hotness) so they have a solid track record of winning cartridges.

more info from the guys that developed it including reloading data and velocities.

The issue for me is no SAAMI standard (yet?) and no proper head stamp brass (yet? supposedly Starline is going to make it, they have very good rifle brass these days and are now making 6ARC). I've heard that Mos-Tek is going to make barrels (very good stuff, I have a 300bo 1:5 from them that's good so far) and I know SOLGW is making them.

list of new cartridges as of today (no 6MAX but what's this 21 Sharp?)..

I would agree with your assessment. The biggest issue with the 6MAX is factory support. I'm sure there will be some limited factory ammo made but unless you are reloading, the 6 ARC is going to be around for a while. If you are trying to squeeze the most out of it, the 6MAX may be up your alley but you will have to be prepared to load your own. Plus Hornady is being the 6ARC (and 22ARC that seems to be the new hotness) so they have a solid track record of winning cartridges.

more info from the guys that developed it including reloading data and velocities.

The issue for me is no SAAMI standard (yet?) and no proper head stamp brass (yet? supposedly Starline is going to make it, they have very good rifle brass these days and are now making 6ARC). I've heard that Mos-Tek is going to make barrels (very good stuff, I have a 300bo 1:5 from them that's good so far) and I know SOLGW is making them.

list of new cartridges as of today (no 6MAX but what's this 21 Sharp?)..
Thanks, good info.
This round makes a lot of sense. Sounds like a great fit!
But sounds like we need to wait & see where the 6max goes…. The uphill battle to go to market ain’t easy, or quick.

Right now 6 arc is the way to go for ammo availability. For the 6 max I don’t see it taking off while it could be better just doesn’t have the $$ behind it for marketing like Hornady does for their products.

Would like to see a drop chart comparison of 6 max to 6 arc.

Would like to see a drop chart comparison of 6 max to 6 arc.

I found this…

IMG_6513.png

Back
Top Bottom