• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

7.5x55 Swiss

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
Anyone have experience reloading 7.5x55 Swiss? The surplus ammo(GP11) is brass cased, 174 grain spitzer boat-tailed, non-corrosive, and best of all match grade. The only downside is it's berdan primed.....but I've noticed a couple of videos on converting berdan to boxer primers.

I just hate the thought of throwing away all of the beautiful brass. So anyone ever do the conversion or reload berdan primed brass before?

What's his name at Moss pawn does it.

Explained how he de-primed the brass by filling the empty case with water, then using a regular de-priming die (with the pin removed) and an o-ring for sealing.

Basically you use hydraulic pressure to de-prime the brass.

Does this make sense?

I'd set that brass aside and just wait for the next round of Berdan primers to show up at one of the reloading suppliers (happens every few years).

Meantime, buy yourself a few (or many) boxes of PRVI 7.5x55. It's good ammo loaded in boxer primed brass. A number of online sellers have it on hand.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12572

Also, while I am a fan of Lee dies, for this caliber, if shooting exclusively in a K31, your best bet is the Hornady Custom Grade dies. The Lee sizer die uses "compromise" dimensions for the 7.5x55 round, to make it suitable for both the K31 and the older 1911 model Swiss rifles. The Hornady dies will produce better finished round dimensions for the K31; the brass will last longer from less working.

Back
Top Bottom