• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm / 38 super cal. (.3555 dia.) 135 grain

RELOADER

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
17   0
Reaction score
I just loaded up 250 rounds of the 135 gr. bullets for my 9mm and thought I would share the data. I have fired several rounds and really like the way they handle. I had to do some digging since this seems to be an odd bullet size that doesn't seem to have very much data available on loading with them.
My Load Data
135 gr. RNFP copper plated bullet.
4.3 grains of HP38.
Winchester small pistol primers.
OAL 1.116.

I like this load alot but would like to hear from you guys. What do you think of the 135 gr. bullets ?
I have pretty much only used HP38 with my 9mm rounds since thats my staple with my 38spl and 357 loads.
Would love to hear some of your load data for 9mm and what powders you guys use.

I don't use copper plated bullets, but I believe the 135g weight should do well in both calibers. I use mostly Longshot for high performance defensive loads, in both of these calibers. I use Universal Clays for the vast majority of my target velocity loads in all calibers now. The HP38 should do well for both too. I choose my powders based on performance and load density. I don't care for powders that don't half fill the case. I don't consider how many rounds to the pound I get. I want a double charge to overflow the case!

Most manufactures recommend using the same data as you would with swagged lead. I would think some older manuals would list 9 mm data for lead bullets in that weight range using HP38/W231. I assume the above load is for the 9 mm? I believe 135g .356 swagged bullets were common for the .38 Super, so data should be available for HP38/W231 in older manuals too.

I've got a 1911 .38 Super that I've loaded everything from 115g .355's to 158g .357 XTP's in with good results. All of my 9's are defensive pistols, so I haven't gotten into shooting anything other than FMJ's and JHP's in them. I've bought several thousand .355's Winchester FMJ's and I use them in my .38 Super too. I run mostly 124g, and 147g XTP's in both for defensive loads.

The Super is a versatile round, the 135's should serve you very well in it.

Thanks Chuckdog and yes this is data for a 9mm load. Tomthumb I am shooting them in my Ruger P95 and most likely my S&W Sigma 9mm in a few days aswell. You luck dogs!! I wish I had a 1911, maybe oneday. Chuck is the Universal Clays a cleaner powder than HP38 in your opinion? I can also see your point about using powders that only fill a small amount of the case.

Universal is a pretty clean powder. You'll find it flashes less in low-light. If you want an alternate powder, give Solo 1000 a try. Very soft shooting powder that gets good velocities with 124s and up.

Universal is very clean burning. I can't honestly state that Universal is that much cleaner than HP 38, but I use both and prefer the Universal. It's a bit more versatile powder than HP 38 for me. It performs so well in so many applications that it's just hard to beat.

The Solo is a fine performer, but like regular Clays, it's one of the faster powders that just doesn't yield the load density or the wide range of performance I like.

The HP 38/W231 has worked well for me over the years, and it's about as fast a burn rate that I'm comfortable running in most of my handgun loads. It took me trying a pound of Universal myself to unseat the HP 38/W231 as my most used powder.

You'll hear many folks my age praising Unique. I used it for a long time myself. But I simply got tired of the nastiness of it, and the unburned flakes leaving me freckle faced after shooting. I started using W231 and found out HP 38 was the same powder. I used it for most target stuff for years. The Universal Clays has all the good attributes of Unique without the drawbacks.

The Universal is good enough that I can honestly say it's worth giving a pound a try over the HP 38/W231. You may not like it as well as I do, but I know first hand it can perform well for you. CD

Last edited:
Had a blast(good time not KABOOM) at the range Saturday. The 135gr loads worked like a charm with the HP38. I also use some Unique powder to change up my 357mag loads, it worked smooth with the 158gr copper plated bullets I had. I really appreciate all of the info you guys shared and think I am gonna load some of my 38spl loads and 9mm loads with the Universal powder and see how I like it. Thanks for the info and happy loading guys.

Back
Top Bottom