9mm & 45 suppressed defensive ammo

I've chosen the HST 147. Not the +P. I actually just got my stamp and weapon today and tomorrow will be the first trip to the range. It has a 7.5 inch barrel, so I'll post a range report afterwards.

Every report and gel test on the HST says it's a great bullet. The only exception is in the 380. In which it gives great expansion, but at the cost of deep enough penetration.

I've used 135 grain 9mm Hornady critical defense with the flex tip hollow point, and they sound great suppressed.
I need to pony up some cash and run a few mags of critical defense through my suppressed AR9. I'm thinking that flextip polymer ball thingy will help feeding defensive ammo. Some square nosed and HPs hiccup on my ramp. Sucks. If they sound good and all feed I'll keep those in my 3 mags I've been meaning to do that. I'll shoot some tomorrow and video.

147gr Lawman doesn't go supersonic out of my Ar9 with 16" barrel. There is a very noticeable sonic crack using 115 that is not there with the 147's.

Or... subsonics through a can don't make you def when defending inside your home.
The sonic crack in a hallway isn't nearly as bad as a naked muzzle. Everyone agrees that a rifle or shotgun is better for home defense and even with a can those both break the sound barrier. If you can get something to stay under the speed limit then great but I'm more concerned with hitting the target with every ounce of oomph I can.

The sonic crack in a hallway isn't nearly as bad as a naked muzzle. Everyone agrees that a rifle or shotgun is better for home defense and even with a can those both break the sound barrier. If you can get something to stay under the speed limit then great but I'm more concerned with hitting the target with every ounce of oomph I can.
Hope you hit them with the first one, because if you are shooting unsuppressed indoors at night you will be blind and def after the first round. If you are suppressed, but shooting supers, that sonic crack isn't as bad as muzzle blast, but it's still substantial enough to interfere with your hearing in an enclosed space.

As for stopping power, you are correct about a rifle or shotgun doing a better job. On the other-hand, a serious consideration for home defense is over penetration and in most cases that happens at unacceptable levels with a rifle or shotgun. The solution is to shoot a heavy enough bullet that is subsonic. That's why I like a 300BK shooting properly expanding 200 plus grain bullets in a suppressed rifle for home defense.

Get an FNX Tac with a can and call it a day. 15+1 of what ever 45 ammo you want to shoot in the gun, night sights, and 2 more mags of 15 waiting just in case.

Hope you hit them with the first one, because if you are shooting unsuppressed indoors at night you will be blind and def after the first round. If you are suppressed, but shooting supers, that sonic crack isn't as bad as muzzle blast, but it's still substantial enough to interfere with your hearing in an enclosed space.

As for stopping power, you are correct about a rifle or shotgun doing a better job. On the other-hand, a serious consideration for home defense is over penetration and in most cases that happens at unacceptable levels with a rifle or shotgun. The solution is to shoot a heavy enough bullet that is subsonic. That's why I like a 300BK shooting properly expanding 200 plus grain bullets in a suppressed rifle for home defense.
I was comparing cans on. About the only way to make a bare muzzle worse is add a brake on it. That's no fun.

Could use a mosin m44 and torch the intruder.

Back
Top Bottom