• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm competition projectiles

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
So whats the consensus on whats better? I know every gun is going to like something different, but looking for a generalization.

Loads will be for doing steel challenges. I know my guns preffer 124 over 115gn but what about a heavier bullet like 147gn. What about plated vs lead bullets? RN vs. Flat Point. Its time for me to order projectiles again and I'm just wondering if I should try something different or just stick to what I'm using now. I ask partly because what I generally use is Out of Stock and may be a little bit before I can order (124gn copper plated RN) I get a decent group out of them, but currious if I should go ahead and try something different or wait

Try some 147 plated round nose. The 147 has more bearing surface. The plated bullets never never build up lead. I have several subsonic loads that are easy shooting, and very accurate.

well working off the above statement of bearing surface!
typically a hollow pointed, concave based projectile will have more bearing surface than a solid point (flat or round) as the projectile is longer.
Of course then you can go further if you have deep pockets and use a all copper hollow point BT base, its super long and has a huge contact area with the the bore.
Myself I can't shoot well enough to tell the difference usually.
I would look at Zero, Ranier, Berry, Extreme hollow point projectiles if was me and see what you get in accuracy.

I've been using Bullet Works bullets and am happy with the constancy in my loads so far loading with winchester autocomp.

So far they are the least expensive projectile I can find and I haven't found that much difference shooting them vs the Ranier or the berry which are almost the same price for 500 that I'm paying for 1000 of the bullet works projectiles

http://www.thebulletworks.net/09-124-PL-RN-p/111124.htm

Been paying about $60 for the Ranier or Berry 500 packs. these are $78 per 1000 shipped

So far they are the least expensive projectile I can find and I haven't found that much difference shooting them vs the Ranier or the berry which are almost the same price for 500 that I'm paying for 1000 of the bullet works projectiles

Been paying about $60 for the Ranier or Berry 500 packs. these are $78 per 1000 shipped[/QUOTE]

Good prices! Will save that info for when I need to place my next order.
Thanks

Been paying about $60 for the Ranier or Berry 500 packs. these are $78 per 1000 shipped

Good prices! Will save that info for when I need to place my next order.
Thanks[/QUOTE]
Nice prices. Gonna try some.

Lead will fly faster--uses less powder--may cut down on reliability--is dirtier.

I like the moly coated lead 125's; round nose is the only reliable profile in my 1911.

Steel challenge is a short enough distance for any bullet to be accurate. I believe that the hard core guys like the plated 147 for less perceived recoil and less powder yields less noise, and it is clean.

Kinda depends on the gun--if it is a smooth running gun with light springs, try the 147 plated. If it is finicky, run the 124, 125 round nose.

Back
Top Bottom