• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

9mm OAL with mild powders and lead bullets

Not withstanding any emotional attatchment or replacement factors, WSF should work fine in the 9mm.

If you have some, here is the data from Hodgdon.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 19
Not withstanding any emotional attatchment or replacement factors, WSF should work fine in the 9mm.

If you have some, here is the data from Hodgdon.

Agreed. I thought WSF was a well established 147 powder in the defensive pistol competition crowd. I'm not as passionate about my powder selection.

WSF in 9mm with heavier bullets makes for a good competition load. No issues hitting PF and recoil is decent.

I load all pistol rounds as long as I can and fit them in the mag/plunk test. Usually mag length wins first

Yes, you could try to "fine tune" using COL. You can also use a micrometer as a "C" clamp.
Many years ago, police started reporting that their semi-autos were blowing up. It turned out that they were inserting their magazine and cycling the gun to feed a round in the chamber when they went on duty. When they were off duty, they removed the chambered round and put it back at the top of the magazine. This means that the top round could be cycled hundreds of times. Inspection showed that this led to bullet set-back and pressure increase when the round was finally fired. A report came out that, if you take a 9x19 round that produces 35,000 psi and seat the bullet ¼" (0.250") deeper, the pressure will rise to 65,000 psi. What this means for a 0.010" "adjustment," I don't know.
Maybe, a 0.25" shorter COL leading to a 30,000 psi increase in pressure could mean that a 0.025" will raise pressure by 3000 psi and a 0.0025" increase would raise pressure by 300 psi? Who knows.
My philosophy is to use COL for 100% reliability and accuracy and adjust powder charge if I need a particular power factor. As above, I work out COL before I ever start loading any bullet, and will always use the longest COL that is 100% reliable (often, this is about 0.010" less than max effective COL as COL varies +/- and I want to keep 100% reliability.
The "cost" of 0.1-0.3gn of powder, up or down, is negligible and not worth the effort of using COL for fine-tuning.
1# = 7000 gn. 9x19 load is 4.5gn (let's say), 1# of powder is $20 (let's say), so 1 gn of powder is $0.00286, so 4.5gn is 1.29 cents/round for powder. A increase to 4.8gn would cost 1.37 cents/round, for an increase of 0.08 cents/round, so the cost of 1000 rounds would go up by 80 cents--not enough savings for me to play with.

WSF in .45? I haven't found a good use for WSF, but it certainly does better in my .40 S&W guns than in any of my 9x19s or .45 Autos. For .45 Auto, even for service loads, 231/HP38, Bullseye, Red Dot, and AA2 are a lot more accurate in all my .45s than any powder much slower than 231/HP38 (in fact, I was surprised how good 231/HP38 is in my .45s, as it turned out to the most accurate powder in my guns for bullets of 185-230gn, lead or jacketed, across the range of charge weights. This shouldn't be, as Bullseye is THE .45 Auto powder.
Most references to WSF have been for 9x19, but Power Pistol and Silhouette are both at least "an order of magnitude" more accurate than WSF in my 9x19 guns--but that doesn't imply that they would be as good in your guns.
Thank God we have choices in this country.

I have used a lot of CFE pistol with the 147 g bullet. I shoot almost exclusively powder coated bullets. I load mine to 900 fps over a chronograph. Loading to the max OAL. The only observation I have is that my glocks are more accurate with jacked bullets. My Sigs and Smiths dont care. 900 fps is kind of the sweet spot for me. I have loaded at several different OAL but it has no impact on accuracy. I do not use a Ransom rest to measure accuracy for what that matters. The CFE does shoot very clean compared to other powders but shooting lead will almost negate the advantage in my opinion.

Just wanna add this to an old thread. I recently came across some old azz schit powder called solo 1000 and it was in a very old container that looked like Quakers oat meal jug. I figured it would be just some target load lead round nose. Let me tell you. Solo 1000 is an awesome powder. It seriously blows away the variety of powders I've ever used in my life. Try some if you can find it. I looked...u cant ever find it in stock at powder valley. Thats why its soooo good

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom