• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

9mm vs 380 auto

Cmax Arms

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
Since I have so much 380 auto cases, I went and bought a Walter PK380. Now I need to load a new caliber....I started looking at spec and realized that a 380 auto is basically a light 9mm bullet, is this correct? My father had bought some 100 grain 9mm Hornady bullets years ago, Can I use them for 380 auto?
Thanks Cmax :cool:

They are the same diameter, but you can't load a long 9mm bullet into a 380 case and be reliable and safe. As long as you stay below the 110gr mark you should be good. Make sure to use published data from a reliable source.

CWM,well kinda , sorta, not so much!
The 380 is a much less capacity as to case size, they DO NOT make a 380 cartridge in any configuration other than standard SAAMI pressure( No plus p, no Plus P Plus) yea, I know companies advertise such but if they really are Plus p then you should not use them as they are not approved/safe for the weapon. use at your own risk!
anyway 380 operates at a top pressure of 21,500 PSI, the 9 MM operates at 35,000 PSI in standard loadings and 38,500 in plus P loadings, quite a difference.
so as long as you follow known loading data then you should be fine, just don't start sticking any projectile in that short case or pressure goes up fast.
generally the 380 is best with projectiles from 80 to 100 grains.
hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom