• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A bald forearm?

mdog I use actual straight razors so if you want some more specifics on how I hone a razor just shoot me a PM. Happy to answer any questions you might have. You can get a shave with a regular knife at a 20 or 25 degree edge but my razors have about a 15 degree edge and my hones go up to 12,000 grit and the I strop.

my hat is off to u sir

mdog I use actual straight razors so if you want some more specifics on how I hone a razor just shoot me a PM. Happy to answer any questions you might have. You can get a shave with a regular knife at a 20 or 25 degree edge but my razors have about a 15 degree edge and my hones go up to 12,000 grit and the I strop.

12,000 grit? OK THAT's probably my problem. LOL! I have used a leather belt to strop but never invested in a real strop. And I'd LOVE to have a good set of Japanese water stones. I have 2 Katanas that I'd love to sharpen/polish properly. So far though I've resisted investing THAT kind of money in them.

12,000 grit? OK THAT's probably my problem. LOL! I have used a leather belt to strop but never invested in a real strop. And I'd LOVE to have a good set of Japanese water stones. I have 2 Katanas that I'd love to sharpen/polish properly. So far though I've resisted investing THAT kind of money in them.

I have shaved off a 1k hone. It wasnt the most comfortable shave but it worked. But a good strop and some cromium oxide or diamond spray works wonders.

I have shaved off a 1k hone. It wasnt the most comfortable shave but it worked. But a good strop and some cromium oxide or diamond spray works wonders.

I'm also a little afraid of putting that good an edge on my knives. I've nicked, poked and sliced myself so many times as it is, that I'd probly bleed to death if I ever put a REAL edge on something. LOL!

I'm also a little afraid of putting that good an edge on my knives. I've nicked, poked and sliced myself so many times as it is, that I'd probly bleed to death if I ever put a REAL edge on something. LOL!

LOL...I don't have that kind of edge on anything other than my razors. On my knives I only go up to 600. It will shave arm hair nicely, and it takes less time to get to a serviceable edge. And it is a very durably edge for a working knife.

The only knives Ive really sharpened properly are my carving knives. Not sure of the stone grit, wanna say about a 15 degree angle ( I was taught to grind as if I had a nickel supporting the blade) and then strop. They sure do glide through wood nicely. The finger nail test is what I use as the blades are too short.

Back
Top Bottom