• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A big little knife..........

Dingo

Wolf Icon
Navigating the space time continuum
7   0
Reaction score
A bush knife is OK in the bush, nobody cares. A good folder is fine in the country areas, they don’t worry country folk. But the city is different pull out your EDC and everybody freaks. In Spain last year I pulled out my Benchmade folder to cut up some sausage and my brother said you’d do a few years in prison for that in Britain. I should say he’s a Magistrate, a sort of judge and does not look kindly on knife carrying hooligans like his brother. I did point out our father gave me my first knife at age 5 and I’d carried one ever since, times have changed in the UK was his response.
Where are you going with all this you are thinking? Well this got me thinking that city folk and city cops in particular are very anti carrying knives so a more concealable knife might be the trick when you are in the city as I am from time to time. Enter my latest purchase the Spyderco Dragonfly 2.

C9AAC2B2-4457-44D9-8AB2-1B570421C9F9.jpeg

01B2D3A7-52FA-441C-A54F-790090E86E31.jpeg

This little knife is Japanese made, is razor sharp and sits in your pocket out of sight and out of mind until you need it. Surprisingly, or maybe not, despite it’s size you have a solid four finger grip on this leaf shaped blade which is rock solid. It has great jimping on both the thumb ramp and the choil, so with your thumb on the ramp, fore finger in the choil your remaining three fingers provide a very strong grip on the cross cut handle and is very comfortable in the hand. It feels like a much bigger knife in the hand, by some very clever design.

Anyway here is some Spyderco info:

This Dragonfly 2 features a VG-10 stainless steel blade and a Zome Green FRN handle.

Spyderco's Dragonfly 2 is a second-generation knife that has undergone some stellar improvements thanks to the C.Q.I.-Constant Quality Improvement process employed by Spyderco. The Dragonfly 2 maintains the same blade and handle geometry with leveraging points that make the Dragonfly cut and feel like a much larger knife. The blade is hollow ground with jimping at the choil and the spine for better control and feel. The handle uses Spyderco's patented Bi-Directional Texturing on the fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN) and has a reversible tip-up wire clip for superb carry characteristics. The Back Lock steel frame ensures a tight lock with solid performance.

SPECIFICATIONS

• Overall Length:5.61"
    Blade Length:2.28"
    Cutting Edge:1.88"
    Blade Thickness:0.10"
    Blade Material:VG-10
    Blade Style:Drop Point
    Blade Grind:Flat
    Finish:Satin
    Edge Type:Plain
    Handle Length:3.33"
    Handle Thickness:0.34"
    Handle Material:FRN
    Color:Black, Green
    Weight:1.30 oz.
    User:Right Hand, Left Hand
    Pocket Clip:Tip-Up
    Knife Type:Manual
    Opener:Thumb Hole
    Lock Type:Lockback
    Brand:Spyderco
    Model:Dragonfly
    Model Number:C28ZFPGR2
    Country of Origin:Japan
    Best Use:Everyday Carry
    Product Type:Knife
The handle is made in a traditional Japanese manner which adds a bit of interest, it looks a bit like camo..........

Zome (pronounced "zoh-may") is a class of Japanese handicrafts that focuses on dyeing textiles. This ancient art form includes many different methods of creating patterns on cloth using dyes derived from plants, flowers, fruit, and other natural sources and is closely related to many aspects of Japanese history and culture.

Inspired by this rich artistic heritage, Spyderco's Zome knives are unique variations of our lightweight models, which feature injection-molded fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) handles. The handles are molded in a light base color and then individually hand dyed by expert Japanese artisans. Using a technique reminiscent of traditional hiki-zome (brush dyeing), various colors of dye are hand brushed onto the handle to create distinctive, one-of-a-kind patterns. Like Japan's classical dyeing methods, the special dyes used completely permeate the FRN to permanently color it.

I like that design, but I'm really partial to more rugged built knives. Those dragonflies will certainly take care of almost anything the average person would need to cut while out and about.

I like that design, but I'm really partial to more rugged built knives. Those dragonflies will certainly take care of almost anything the average person would need to cut while out and about.
Yes, that’s the reason you need different knives for different tasks. The Dragonfly is a great little knife for the city, easily concealed but I wouldn’t carry it anywhere else.

My bush knife and EDC ........

901E9C6E-71ED-44C6-AF88-EA0A59DA8E38.jpeg

A bush knife is OK in the bush, nobody cares. A good folder is fine in the country areas, they don’t worry country folk. But the city is different pull out your EDC and everybody freaks. In Spain last year I pulled out my Benchmade folder to cut up some sausage and my brother said you’d do a few years in prison for that in Britain. I should say he’s a Magistrate, a sort of judge and does not look kindly on knife carrying hooligans like his brother. I did point out our father gave me my first knife at age 5 and I’d carried one ever since, times have changed in the UK was his response.
Where are you going with all this you are thinking? Well this got me thinking that city folk and city cops in particular are very anti carrying knives so a more concealable knife might be the trick when you are in the city as I am from time to time. Enter my latest purchase the Spyderco Dragonfly 2.

View attachment 2047945

All my dreams about you (no homo) just vanished... now I'm sad... :(
aknife.gif
:pound:

I wonder how Japanese laws compare to knife carry? I don't mean to change direction of the thread, but Dingo Dingo , you brought up your brothers views on knife carry!

Oh, and if a knife is brought out to fight here in the south, you would be laughed at. A knife to a gun fight? lol

I wonder how Japanese laws compare to knife carry? I don't mean to change direction of the thread, but Dingo Dingo , you brought up your brothers views on knife carry!

Oh, and if a knife is brought out to fight here in the south, you would be laughed at. A knife to a gun fight? lol
Within close reach I’d rather have a knife handy. Easy to missdirect a gun shot at that range. Knife cuts right through and would likely take the fight out of another.

Within close reach I’d rather have a knife handy. Easy to missdirect a gun shot at that range. Knife cuts right through and would likely take the fight out of another.

I agree with that assessment, especially walking in high traffic area of people . But it seems strange to me i hear some cops flip out more about a knife than some do guns.

Back
Top Bottom