• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A/C issues

cantoncmd

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
8   0
Reaction score
Hello fellow ODT'ers. My downstairs AC is acting up. I noticed some water dripping from the copper pipes leading to my furnace unit. I checked outside and found ice on the condenser pipes. Is this something I can fix myself by just melting the ice, or I am looking at replacing the entire thing? It's about 13 years old.

Attachments

• ICE.jpg
    ICE.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 20
  • ICE2.jpg
    ICE2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 20
Poland's Heating and Air 770-781-4001...Dave Poland is as honest and fair as they come and a local Canton business, he won't sell you something you don't need and his rates are reasonable....he's been taking care of my A/C for 20 + years.

Seen it plenty of times. First, turn the system off and let it defrost. Then change your air filter in the air handler, lastly, call a reputable a/c technician and have the freon levels checked, often with low airflow due to clogged filter and freon just below needed levels, it will start freezing the lines all the way from the compressor to the A coil.
An A/c system that has been properly maintained should last 15 years or more. I just replaced mine at 17 years, but it was struck by lighting or something, electrical fire started in the air handler and burnt up controls boards. I had to have new system installed. I know several people though who have a/c systems that are 20 years old and still running, though that seems to be the exception and not the rule.

Poland's Heating and Air 770-781-4001...Dave Poland is as honest and fair as they come and a local Canton business, he won't sell you something you don't need and his rates are reasonable....he's been taking care of my A/C for 20 + years.
x2 honest

Back
Top Bottom