• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Good Fish Finder

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I did an ODT search and last thread was 2010. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fishfinder.328/#post-771

I'm looking for a decent fish finder for under $200. I have never had one but seen some older units fishing salt water with a buddy.

From looking around, there is Hybrid Dual Imaging (HDI), DownScan Imaging (DSI), DownScan Imaging with CHIRP from Lowrance but the 2010 thread comments said they had issues and poor CS. However the poll reflected Lowrance was favored.

I spent several hours going through Lowrance's products and videos getting an education on these fish hunting tools.

The boat is a small Pelican Bass Raider 10E that I'm just using a trolling motor on and fits in my truck bed. Mine is tan in color. :monkey:

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_81s7jw7J57L._SL1500_.jpg

Update:

I didn't see the unit I was looking for but they had the Lowrance® Mark-4 CHIRP 83/200 Combo with a GPS, bonus right? I thought so and it had the "down scan" technology I was wanting with the "CHIRP" tech.

The sales rep and I both thought the same as it was plastered all over the box. Except the fine print at the bottom.........

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

Academy, Gander Mountain, Amazon and Dicks make the same claim "CHIRP sonar with DownScan Imaging" but no where will you find that in order to access "DownScan Imaging" you need to purchase another-separate transducer.

Shockingly, Lowrance's own web site makes no mention of the additional requirement...... Oddly compelling....

Cabela's mentions this and even gives the transducer part number required to restore "DownScan" imaging to being operational.

part# 000-10976-001

Amazon sells them Price: $112.40 & FREE Shipping

upload_2015-4-11_11-0-25.png

So, I'll be taking this back today. The quest continues......

Back
Top Bottom