A gun with a lot of history.

WMSproject

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
42   0
Reaction score
This is my latest acquisition. No, I did not buy it. I inherited it. My father passed away on February 1st of this year.

For those of you who know, this is a Röhm GmbH model RG 14 3" barrel .22lr pistol. This model pistol was same model pistol used by John Hinkley to shoot Ronald Reagan, James Brady, Thomas Delahanty and Timothy McCarthy.

Subsequently, Sarah Brady, the Press Secretary's wife began the "Brady Campaign", arguably the most fervent gun control attempt of our history.

This particular model pistol has a sorted past... and the pistol is what the liberals call a "Saturday Night Special". This name was given to the pistol because of it's cheap purchase price of around $25.00 at the time. Today, they still don't sell for much more than $50.00 in good condition.

The pistol shown in the photos is now mine. It has been used to kill thousands of racoons, possums, and armadillas. My father was a trapper and taught me how to track and trap animals as a child. This pistol was his gun of choice to put down trapped animals. It has also killed at least two deer that I know of.

The worst thing this pistol was ever involved in was 33 years ago. I was 5 years old and the victim of severe bullying. One day I didn't feel that I could take it any more. I called the worst bully over to my dad's truck and I got the pistol out of the glove compartment. I pointed the loaded pistol at him and told him to "Never bother me again". Of course he went straight to his parents and within minutes, my parents knew about it. I got my butt whipped so hard that I couldn't sit down for a long time. I also got my first education in firearm safety and respect for human life. I've been a good "Kid" ever since and grew up with a healthy respect for firearms and firearm safety. All it took for me was a hard butt whipping and some proper instruction.

When going through my dad's personal effects this last week, we found this pistol. I told my brother the story and we thought it only fitting that I take the pistol and use it as an object lesson to my own children about firearm safety.

My dad was not one who was known for taking care of his firearms. It was in bad condition when we found it. It had some dead insects inside it. The cylinder and barrel was rusty on the outside. Two cylinders had dirt dauber nests in them. The timing was off and it would not fully turn the cylinder in single action mode. I took it home and spent 5 or 6 hours meticulously cleaning and repairing the pistol. It locks up nicely now and the timing is fixed.

No, it is not for sale, not even for $1000.00. Don't even ask. This is one of a few guns that I will never sell... NEVER.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
i'm sorry for your loss.... mine's been gone quite a few years, and the one gun i got(his 1 gun), means the world to me

i've owned a few RGs over the years, more for the collection interest than anything else- have a couple of .22 short revolvers right now

they are cool to shoot

I also inherited his Weatherby Vanguard Stainless .270 WSM with Burris scope, a Thompson Center inline muzzle loader, a Stevens Bolt action single shot .22lr, a Horton Crossbow, a Recurve bow, a Black Powder 1850 Colt Revolver and a 1915 Ranger Double Barrel Shotgun. I had to go out and buy a new Safe this weekend because I ran out of room in my small safe. This little pistol means more to me than all those other weapons even though they are all fine weapons also.

I received my grandmothers little RG 22, I think that was the model number. She bought it in the early 60's and the receipt was still in the box ($22). It was still new when she passed, she never shot it.
The problem with it was in double action it would not fire 2 or 3 of the rounds per cylinder. Sadly I got rid of it years ago.

This pistol was in pretty bad shape but I spent some time on it this weekend. I modified the "Cylinder Stop" and "Hand" (The part that indexes the cylinder) to correct the timing. The gap between the cylinder and forcing cone is too wide in my opinion but there's really nothing I can do about that. I expect that a bit of lead and a lot of flash exits through that gap every time the trigger is pulled.

Before I corrected the timing, I had to cock the pistol and then advance the cylinder to make it click and lock in place. Even then, there was way too much play when it was locked in.

I did not re-blue the pistol or anything... Just cleaned it up and removed the rust. Because it is a value-less firearm anyway, I was not worried about damaging it. I just wanted it back in usable condition and rust free.

rg1.jpg

rg2.jpg

rg3.jpg

rg4.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom