• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for flashlight recommendations with remote switch for a shotgun

A34

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
Update 4/20/24:

This is my first time installing/using a light on a weapon, so I'm a novice to all this. Here's an update on what I did. Hope it helps someone considering doing this. Purchased a Streamlight Pro-Trac railmount, 625 Lumens. It is adequate for what I needed lighting up my property. I should have spent a little more and purchased the 1000 lumens. I'll probably wait for a sale and upgrade later.

I say this because in testing the light around 9:45pm I discovered 5 deer bedding down in my front yard. They were approx 80 feet off my front porch. I could see them well enough and would have felt comfortable taking the shot but I feel 1000 lumens would have given me a much better view of them. Of course if you're young with awesome eyesight that may not be an issue. So, it was a good test for exactly why I bought it. I feel comfortable being able to spot a coyote or something and take them out if deemed a threat.

I chose a magazine tube mount by GG&G with a rail. The light came with a few attahment options, and the tube mount seemed to be the cheapest in regards to what I'd need to purchase to make it work. There is a little wiggle side to side which I'm not sure I like. I have it as tight as I can get it with my hands. A live fire test will be the deciding factor. It also positions the light at the end of the forearm. I prefer it close to the end of the barrel. Not sure if it makes a real difference. Again, I'm a novice but think I'd prefer the light and hence the remote switch a little farther forward. You may feel differently. Access to the remote switch is fine, I can easily manipulate the temporary switch and with only slightly more difficulty the permanent on/off position. Pics attached!

Hey Guys,

I have a base 930 and would like to add a flashlight with remote switch, looking for recommendations that won't break the bank. What flashlight, remote switch and attaching hardware is recommend? I'd like visibility out to at least 50 feet for varmints that come around in the country at night. Would a 1000 lumens flashlight work for this?

Any other suggested modificiations?

Thanks!

mossberg 930.jpg

Mossberg 930 with light (1).jpeg
Mossberg 930 with light (3).jpeg
Mossberg 930 with light (4).jpeg

Nice thing about the 930 is you don't have to worry about linear horizontal motion...
I have a super cheap shockproof hand flashlight mounted to my mag tube. No remote just a push button well over 1500 lumens using rechargeable batteries an a standard hourglass clamp. I think the whole system was less than 100 bucks.
Big, ugly, a little heavy. It keeps the 'nose down and it is not money wasted.

Reactions: A34
This 20 gauge pump
has a cheap ($60 back a dozen years ago)
light, LED, with something like four or five different lighting and flashing modes.
It's also got a red laser and you can make the laser come on separately from, or along with, the flashlight.

I like it.

It was made to clamp on the magazine tube of a 12 gauge shotgun, so I had to wrap some electrical tape around the magazine tube of my 20 gauge to make it the right diameter.

Attachments

• BF564310-E017-4DCE-A39C-B69916A83043.jpeg
    BF564310-E017-4DCE-A39C-B69916A83043.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 45FF6BFB-E321-4492-A4AF-5445F9B6F075.jpeg
    45FF6BFB-E321-4492-A4AF-5445F9B6F075.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Love
Look at the weapon-mounted light options from Streamlight. Better than most out there, and not expensive.

When budget lights are needed, Streamlight is the ONLY acceptable answer. If new is too $$$, find a used one and save $50 or more bucks. They have a lifetime warranty regardless of original owner or not.

If it doesn't come with a remote-wired pressure switch, see if you can buy that separately, usually by replacing the end cap / tail cap for the flashlight. Being able to activate the light while keeping your hands on the normal firing grip on the gun's stock or fore-end is critical, I think.

Then add your light. Surefire pro, streamlightlight on a budget.

Back
Top Bottom