• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A little help (maybe a lot) on the Trust for a SBR

Actually trusts without Revocable Living are back to being approved no problem. Make up your own mind, but I do not use it, and my forms went through without a hitch.

EDIT:

I am not a lawyer and encourage you consult one and make up ayour mind based on the best legal practice.

Last edited:
Actually trusts without Revocable Living are back to being approved no problem. Make up your own mind, but I do not use it, and my forms went through without a hitch.

EDIT:

I am not a lawyer and encourage you consult one and make up ayour mind based on the best legal practice.

Mine went right through as *lastname Arms Trust. Bought in July 2012

. . . I've got the Form 1 under control and a fairly complete understanding of the overall process but I'm sort of stuck on the Trust part. Seems the more I read the more I get confused as to who needs to be in the Trust and where they are indicated. . . . :D

That's because trusts are complicated legal instruments governed by a lot of arcane and very technical statutory and common law rules going back for centuries, and it also varies from state to state. Your self-created trust might pass BATFE muster as a "legitimate trust under state law," but that does not mean it will work in the way you intend it to work. And "who is in the trust" is a very significant legal issue that involves who can control it and who benefits from it without being able to control it. Trust law truly is the playground of lawyers.

I see a lot of bad legal advice about trusts given by non-lawyers on this and other boards, and at gun store counters (by people who wouldn't know a trust if it bit them), and I usually bite my tongue, but this thread clearly demonstrates the need to let professionals do their work. I'm sure you wouldn't use the internet to learn how to remove your own appendix . . . .

I hope everyone understands that handling silencers and other prohibited weapons can lead to federal prison time and hefty fines if not done legally. It's not just about passing the BATFE's first review. Frankly, I don't understand the mind-set of going cheap on the legal part, given the extraordinary consequences of doing it wrong.

DISCLAIMER: I am a lawyer, and I do know about trust law, but I am not advising you or anyone about any person's legal issues, and I am not in a position to handle your particular case at this time. I'm just pointing out that trust law is tricky and complex, and that's probably why you are confused.

Back
Top Bottom