• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A question for those buying gold for SHTF

Gold has a history of being reliable money for over 6000 years. It is to be accumulated only after all other preparations are made....or if one can afford it, used as a life insurance policy on your fiat currency savings.

The characteristics of real money are durability, portability, divisibility, uniformity, limited supply, and acceptability.
I still want to know WHY IS GOLD VALUABLE? When in time? Why? As I stated “it is only physically purty” nothing more. Makes no logical sense, to me at least, to “barter and trade” with something that truly has “ no value”

I still want to know WHY IS GOLD VALUABLE? When in time? Why? As I stated “it is only physically purty” nothing more. Makes no logical sense, to me at least, to “barter and trade” with something that truly has “ no value”

You right. It is truly worthless.

I could see gold having value in a SHTF scenario. Among well prepared individuals or groups.

Not if you’re already flat busted. You’ll be done anyway.

But if you’re already prepared, and dealing with others who are prepared, or groups who are well organized and prepared, I could see trades such as several gold ounce coins for an old vehicle that still runs after an EMP, or a tractor or some other equipment that’s useful. Among well prepared people, I would think groups and individuals may have their own surplus and unique needs. So you may be well stocked on livestock, but lack something else. Gold could be very useful for trading for such items. Of course lead would seem just as valuable if not more.

But clearly not useful on day one, and not if you’re one of the millions of the unprepared and doomed.

I could see gold having value in a SHTF scenario. Among well prepared individuals or groups.

Not if you’re already flat busted. You’ll be done anyway.

But if you’re already prepared, and dealing with others who are prepared, or groups who are well organized and prepared, I could see trades such as several gold ounce coins for an old vehicle that still runs after an EMP, or a tractor or some other equipment that’s useful. Among well prepared people, I would think groups and individuals may have their own surplus and unique needs. So you may be well stocked on livestock, but lack something else. Gold could be very useful for trading for such items. Of course lead would seem just as valuable if not more.

But clearly not useful on day one, and not if you’re one of the millions of the unprepared and doomed.
I can see this, but this suggests that society would be reasserting itself at this point.

Just to be clear I'm not on the gold train. I don't buy it because unless I have stocked Rawles' list of lists with some extras I'm not done. I would prefer to have the goods and services people will give me gold for when we get to recovery. I was just wondering how you were valuing the gold when you said historically the value had dipped or gained. My point was, if you are judging the value of gold by how it relates to the dollar it's far more likely the value of the dollar was fluctuating not the value of the gold.
Henry Ford Quotes: "It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."

If one does not know by now, most likely they never will. The answer is so obvious that I do not wish to insult anyone by stating it.

Gold is for the recovery.

I stock up on other more usable currency, like liquor, food, ammo etc for the crisis.
Probably screwed when things get rolling if freight ain’t moving.
Don't forget the motorcycles Ken Ford Ken Ford , pretty sure you stock up on them too! I had not thought about storing liquor, hell, it would probably end up being priceless in a true SHTF...espoecially after a couple odf months!

If one does not know by now, most likely they never will. The answer is so obvious that I do not wish to insult anyone by stating it.
Insult me. I really have no idea why it is “valuable” other than long long ago someone somewhere said “ it’s purty I want it”. What more? Useless metal for useless things. If you put your value in something that can’t keep you fed, dry, warm then go ahead. I use “Currency” only to deal with the sheeple that put value in something that was pounded into them that it is valuable.

Insult me. I really have no idea why it is “valuable” other than long long ago someone somewhere said “ it’s purty I want it”. What more? Useless metal for useless things. If you put your value in something that can’t keep you fed, dry, warm then go ahead. I use “Currency” only to deal with the sheeple that put value in something that was pounded into them that it is valuable.
The statement above is correct: "....I really have no idea why it is “valuable”...".

I meant no personal insult to anyone, yourself included. However, I will pass on any further comment as a matter of principle.

Back
Top Bottom