• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

Gonna take a helluva stake to fill that notch.
10167D51-1459-4EC0-8963-AA1EA583738C.jpeg

Encountered an issue with a customer’s stripped Anderson lower today. This is an issue that I have seen multiple times on Anderson receivers, but don’t recall seeing elsewhere.

Customer had only gotten as far as installing a Seekins bolt catch in his Anderson lower, and he could tell it was not moving as far as it should. He replaced the roll pin and it still was not moving correctly in the down or bolt hold open position.

I removed the pin, bolt catch, plunger, and spring. Using only fingers, I inserted an appropriately sized drill bit into the plunger pocket, twisted it, and proceeded to dig out copious amounts of blasting media. There was so much blasting media packed into the bottom of the pocket that it was keeping the plunger from depressing fully. Cleaned the pocket out thoroughly, and installed the bolt catch. Worked like a champ.

I have seen this numerous times before in Anderson lowers, in either the buffer detent pocket or the bolt catch plunger pocket. Never seen it in any other brand, but whenever I assemble any lower from any company, I check both those areas for debris trapped in the pocket. Ya never know.

Encountered an issue with a customer’s stripped Anderson lower today. This is an issue that I have seen multiple times on Anderson receivers, but don’t recall seeing elsewhere.

Customer had only gotten as far as installing a Seekins bolt catch in his Anderson lower, and he could tell it was not moving as far as it should. He replaced the roll pin and it still was not moving correctly in the down or bolt hold open position.

I removed the pin, bolt catch, plunger, and spring. Using only fingers, I inserted an appropriately sized drill bit into the plunger pocket, twisted it, and proceeded to dig out copious amounts of blasting media. There was so much blasting media packed into the bottom of the pocket that it was keeping the plunger from depressing fully. Cleaned the pocket out thoroughly, and installed the bolt catch. Worked like a champ.

I have seen this numerous times before in Anderson lowers, in either the buffer detent pocket or the bolt catch plunger pocket. Never seen it in any other brand, but whenever I assemble any lower from any company, I check both those areas for debris trapped in the pocket. Ya never know.

Low QC keeps prices low.

Back
Top Bottom