• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

Because no one is infallible!

Busy at the shop yesterday, working on one gun after another.

Built a pair of matching 7” 5.56 pistol uppers for a father and son. Got them done and sent them out the door.

After they left, things slowed down, and started to straighten up my bench. This caught my eye.......oops.

6E8EC6BA-0299-4FD6-84CA-170DEB725003.jpeg

Well......I’m sure they’ll be back, and I’ll make it right.

Guy brought in an AR that he purchased, which was built by someone else. It had several obvious issues, or less than ideal features. He had me go through it, and correct any issues, or anything I found concerning.

The receiver extension wasn’t close to being on straight. What was curious was that the guy that built it screwed that all up, but actually did a decent job of staking it. Usually when I see a receiver extension clocked like this, the extension is self is trashed. In this case, it turns out Bubba had filed down the anti-rotation tab on the receiver end plate. I can’t figure out why someone would do that, and this isn’t the first one I’ve seen like that.

I replaced the REP with a BCM model that incorporates a QD sling swivel socket, and installed it properly.
View attachment 2920882View attachment 2920883

While putting things back together, the receiver extension snapped before I hit the torque spec. Of course, I replaced it as well.
View attachment 2920884

The BCG was completely plated in what I assume was gold titanium nitride. The gas key was noticeably loose. The gun had been fired, and I have a feeling that Bubba sold it because it wasn’t functioning. On top of being loose, the carrier key screws were cheap YFS fasteners, and poorly staked. I pulled the key, cleaned under it, reinstalled using Optimized Carrier Key Screws, and staked properly.
Typical. Some folks have no business touching a Lego gun...

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom