• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Vets..

Targetmaster

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
228   0
Reaction score
A little levity on this solemn day, about 20 or so years ago, I met a Russian General, he didn't speak English but had a Handler/KGB? interpreter with him. As two old Vets do we started talking about our times in the Military. I told the General I was in the Army during the Cuban Missile Conflict and that as a Paratrooper and there was the possibility that we may have jumped into the Soviet Union in 1962, the General replied thru his interpreter he would have been on the ground waiting for me. I told the interpreter, you tell him I would have kicked his Commie Ass back to the Volga. He paled and said I can't tell General that. I said you tell him exactly what I said. He did, and the Russian General turned beet red and stared at me, then started laughing and slapped me on the back, the interpreter wiped his brow of sweat, and said, "General say, you make Good Russian Soldier" and we all laughed... True Story, I hope he made it thru all their purges, for a Commie, he was alright in my book..

That's great!
(I think it has always been like that, we really aren't all that different. Same kind of men, wearing different uniforms, doing what we believe is the right thing...???)

I had already decided I was going to drink a beer or two tonight, I think I'll drink a toast to world peace! :becky:

I'll tell you a story, many years ago I was in the Solomon Islands on Guadalcanal. We took a boat ride along the coast to sight see, the boat was full of vets both American and Japanese who were looking at each other rather suspiciously. A half submerged tank came into view and one American stood staring at it and said that was my tank we only just got out. A Japanese man also stood and said it was me that fired on your tank. They both looked at each other for a moment then fell into each other's arms crying. That night in the hotel there were a whole bunch of old vets from both sides getting uproariously drunk together.

A little levity on this solemn day, about 20 or so years ago, I met a Russian General, he didn't speak English but had a Handler/KGB? interpreter with him. As two old Vets do we started talking about our tines in the Military. I told the General I was in the Army during the Cuban Missile Conflict and that as a Paratrooper and there was the possibility that we may have jumped into the Soviet Union in 1962, the General replied thru his interpreter he would have been on the ground waiting for me. I told the interpreter, you tell him I would have kicked his Commie Ass back to the Volga. He paled and said I can't tell General that. I said you tell him exactly what I said. He did, and the Russian General turned beet red and stared at me, then started laughing and slapped me on the back, the interpreter wiped his brow of sweat, and said, "General say, you make Good Russian Soldier" and we all laughed... True Story, I hope he made it thru all their purges, for a Commie, he was alright in my book..

You are truly an American Badass. Thank you Sir.

I'll tell you a story, many years ago I was in the Solomon Islands on Guadalcanal. We took a boat ride along the coast to sight see, the boat was full of vets both American and Japanese who were looking at each other rather suspiciously. A half submerged tank came into view and one American stood staring at it and said that was my tank we only just got out. A Japanese man also stood and said it was me that fired on your tank. They both looked at each other for a moment then fell into each other's arms crying. That night in the hotel there were a whole bunch of old vets from both sides getting uproariously drunk together.

I can totally see that, lol.

Back
Top Bottom