• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AAR on 2-day Basic Precision Rifle Course on 10/21-22

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
I taught a 2-day class on the 1,000 yard range at Elk River Training Center in Pelham TN. Weather was perfect.

All the students except for 1 brought .308’s, with the lone exception being a Remington 700 Sendero stainless/fluted .300WinMag.

The magnum shooter was using a milliradian scope (a Leupold M5) and everyone else was using MOA. One student started out with a rifle that had a mil scope on it, but switched to another rifle that had an MOA scope. 1 student had a Vortex Viper (non-PST) that had a mil-dot reticle and .25MOA turrets. I hadn’t seen a scope like that in a loooooong time!

One shooter started the course with a FNAR .308, couldn’t get it to group satisfactorily, and swapped to a DPMS .308. That rifle was the sole semi-auto in the class, with the remainder being bolt actions. All the bolt actions were Remington 700’s, mostly stock or lightly tuned/modified/dropped into a chassis. 1 rifle was a full-blown custom on a Remington action.

Scopes were a mix of Nightforce ATACR and SHV, Sightron, Leupold, and the aforementioned Vortex.

Once I got all the shooters squared away, they were merrily ringing steel at 1,000yds on day 2.

Funny incident. While dialing in his initial dope for 1,000yds, the shooter with the Vortex ran out of elevation. Not only that, when he dialed it against the stop, it stuck there. He tried to dial it back down and unscrewed the entire turret and housing from the scope! I guesstimated as best I could what elevation he had dialed in, gave him a 1mil holdover to go with it, and he was ringing steel with the rest of them. Off to Vortex she’ll go!

He’s the 2MOA, 1,000yd target.

72E31C54-7C11-4BAE-84F5-6E67C0049C08.jpeg

I can’t wait to get my wife and oldest daughter out there with you to learn. (My patience and temperament as hubby and daddy doesn’t make for a productive training time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t wait to get my wife and oldest daughter out there with you to learn. (My patience and temperament as hubby and daddy doesn’t make for a productive training time)

My plan is to have my daughter attend the next one.

My plan is to have my daughter attend the next one.

Be sure to let me know the dates, we are spending some of our offseason (Nov-March) saving up for the wife and the 14 year their gear, and maybe some upgraded glass. The worst part is now behind us. Got the wife a Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor w/ 16x SWFA
be4e030a7b34e9bc30a1b3dd735b6799.jpg

Be sure to let me know the dates, we are spending some of our offseason (Nov-March) saving up for the wife and the 14 year their gear, and maybe some upgraded glass. The worst part is now behind us. Got the wife a Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor w/ 16x SWFA
be4e030a7b34e9bc30a1b3dd735b6799.jpg

Nice!

I always post my courses in the Tactics & Training forum here on ODT. If you’d like, I can add your email to my monthly notifications list.

I really wanted to take this class with a buddy of mine but my nephew had his confirmation on that Sunday. If we’d been there you’d have had a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 to add to the mix. Also another SHV and a Vortex Razor. Here’s hoping my schedule is open for next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I really wanted to take this class with a buddy of mine but my nephew had his confirmation on that Sunday. If we’d been there you’d have had a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 to add to the mix. Also another SHV and a Vortex Razor. Here’s hoping my schedule is open for next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sometime in the spring!

Back
Top Bottom