"AC just needs a charge"

There were several other factors in play but that was what pushed me over the edge. Dude had put a Chevy small block V8 in it, mated to a Suburban transmission. It was gnarly, but thinking about having to get it worked on while on the road full time, I decided against it...and the gas gauge malfunctioning was what sent me down that path. Who would I take it to? Jeep dealership? But then for engine work, take a Jeep to a Chevy dealership? It all became too complicated, so I just passed.
When you put it that way I would have 100% passed on that...lol...that sounds like an absolute nightmare! I did that once years ago, I bought a 67 F100 that for some reason a guy put a dodge 318 in...after I finally figured out what year the engine was and knew what to ask for it was ok, before that...not so much. I will say that was a heck of a combination though. But that taught me to never look at anything that had different manufactures motors and frankensteined together. Unless I was the one that did it or paid someone to do it.

A802DFF2-F0F2-4FF6-9000-232920DE6B57.jpeg

Reminds me of when I was shopping for a mid-’60s Corvette coupe years ago.
Responded to an ad, ‘light body damage’. I call the guy, he says few cracks here and there, nothing serious.
So, the wife and I pack up and cruise from Chamblee to Rome area.
Drive up to his house, wife starts chanting ‘don’t shoot him, don’t shoot him’.
Nice ‘65 coupe….that had been crashed through a pine thicket. Pieces of panels missing, cracks everywhere, and he forgot to mention that the whole rear end and suspension had been ripped out, and were lying beside it. I just cussed him for everything that came to mind and drove home.
People seem to be bad about misrepresenting vehicle condition.

I may be the odd duck, but I have had reasonable luck with recharging systems on cars that I own.

Generally 5-6 yr old cars, a $35 kit from wallyworld has gotten them back cold for several years.

Also have had to replace compressor, drier, lines, etc on others I have owned.

That said, if I am buying and the AC is out, then I give it a hard pass.
Me to on really old cars. I have recharged systems that lasted a long long ass time. It might take maybe a can or can and a half and be good to go for years. Now if it's on a 5 year old car or less then yeah there is a problem and further investigation is needed. I seen Schrader valves stick open with a piece of trash and go down very slowly and correct itself when the cap was taken of and it blew the trash out and took a good charge. However, more times than not it needs a full systems check and a repair and vacuum pulled and monitored.

I could see where refilling an older car would be expected. I remember when the connections were rubber hoses on barbed fittings and held in place with clamps. Even though the newer systems replaced the hose connections, the compressor is externally driven with a rotating seal. No rotating seal is 100% leak proof -- just really really slow!!

Just stop it. No it doesn't. An AC system is not designed to need recharging. It's not a cell phone battery. If it "just needs a charge," it has a leak, which means it's broken....or worse off, it has a faulty compressor or condenser or evaporator or whatever else it is. Do people really fall for that? "Oh, it just needs a charge? That's no biggie." We all know you're slimy and we all know it doesn't just "need a charge." So please, just stop it and say "The AC doesn't work."

Thank you, all. :ranger:

Look I lost a long time client over 10yrs due to a leaky evaporator coil that couldn't be fixed she called another company and they said it just needs freon so she wrote a nasty review about me trying to scam her but that's how it goes, I was trying to do the right thing and not let poisonous chlorinated gas leak out in her condo but the other idiot didn't care.

Look I lost a long time client over 10yrs due to a leaky evaporator coil that couldn't be fixed she called another company and they said it just needs freon so she wrote a nasty review about me trying to scam her but that's how it goes, I was trying to do the right thing and not let poisonous chlorinated gas leak out in her condo but the other idiot didn't care.

Some people are just ignorant and want to stay ignorant. I was cussed out and accused of taking advantage of people by a dumbass that thought the estimate I wrote for body repairs to his wife's vehicle was too high. Said he and his buddy could fix it for less. I encouraged him to do that. Couple months later he was back asking me how much it would cost to repair the vehicle after he and his buddy already repaired it. Apparently, his wife was not impressed with the quality of their work. I declined and wished him luck finding someone to help him.

Back
Top Bottom