• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Actual 1000 lumen for $25

I have a 10,000 lumen mag-lite I put together in 2007. Only runs for eight minutes per charge, but that's OK-- it's too hot to hold in three anyway. Lots of designs for such things-- and parts suppliers-- on www.candlepowerforums.com

The LEDs are catching up though.

BTW, headlights are around 3500 lumens.

Does any one know a formula to translate candle power into lumens or vis-versa? Google didn't seem to helpful but I did find a convoluted and hard to understand site

There isn't a conversion as candlepower is the intensity at the brightest part of the beam, and lumens are total light output. Lumens are a much more accurate way to measure light output obviously. CP was mainly used as a marketing gimmick for spotlights.

In other words, there is no conversion.

Last edited:
There isn't a conversion as candlepower is the intensity at the brightest part of the beam, and lumens are total light output. Lumens are a much more accurate way to measure light output obviously. CP was mainly used as a marketing gimmick for spotlights.

In other words, there is no conversion.
This is correct.

Candle power is basically how many candles would it take to be this bright. And if you want to get even more specific... Look at footcandles for measurement.

D_Max and Hayata are telling me that Costco has a 1000 lumens for $20. Hayata said from the 3rd floor in PCB it lit up a huge section of beach
A friend ordered a light on line that was supposed to be 1500 lumens and the one I bought at Coscos for 19.99 is much brighter. Gave several for gifts at Christmas and everyone loves them.

I got one of the Defiant lights from HD. So so construction. It feels cheap and the bezel is plastic. $25 for 1000 lumens, and it is brighter than hell. Cheaply made though.

Back
Top Bottom